Abt Associates seeks a qualified Deputy Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID-funded Health Financing Activity based in Indonesia. The activity aims to improve the efficiency, equity, predictability and sustainability of Government of Indonesia (GOI) financing for health by building capacity within government and academic centers to analyze and design financing reforms. This Activity will use the financing lever to improve service delivery outcomes for USAID priority areas of HIV, MNH, and TB.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide managerial and technical support to the Chief of Party, assisting in areas including work planning, performance management, and strategic communications;
- Supervise project subcomponents and activities;
- Serves as the project’s key liaison with USAID, government counterparts, and local partners/stakeholders;
- Support the COP in managing and supervising the work of project personnel and subcontractors;
- Supervise the project’s subject matter consultants, advisors, and administrative team to ensure smooth project operations, timely implementation, and effective communication with the client and home office;
- In collaboration with the COP, create and implement a strategic, long-term programmatic vision.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- MA/MS plus 15 years of experience, or PhD with 10 years of experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Previous and recent experience serving as a Deputy Chief of Part (Minimum portfolio: $10M);
- At least 5 years of experience supporting public health programs in developing countries, preferably in Indonesia, and managing staff (both local nationals and expats).
- Expertise in health communication and policy/advocacy strategy design, implementation and measurement is preferred, or related 10-15 years of field experience
- Experience collaborating with key players in Indonesia, specifically, the Ministry of Health.
- Experience interacting directly with USAID (highly desired) or other similar donors, ideally regarding programmatic, strategic communications, and contractual issues.
- Demonstrated ability to represent Abt Associates and USAID and comfortably interact with the government of Indonesia, and a wide variety of stakeholders, including national and local governments, civil society organizations, private sector representatives and local communities.
- Language fluency in English required. Bahasa Indonesia preferred.
- Prior work experience in Indonesia highly desired.
Position is contingent upon award.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com