Creative is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP) for the Libyan Electoral Security Planning and Implementation (LESPI) project, a U.S. Department of State-funded project located in Tripoli, Libya. LESPI will enhance electoral security and mitigate electoral violence for upcoming local and national electoral events in Libya, in support of the broader political reconciliation process. The project provides skills building, mentoring, and public outreach with the goal of strengthening the ability of security actors to effectively prevent, mitigate, or de-escalate electoral security threats at both the national and local levels.
The DCoP will be responsible for overseeing strategic and day-to-day implementation of the LESPI project in Libya. S/he will provide supervision and guidance to the technical advisors and support services personnel. S/he will work closely with the Chief of Party to ensure project implementation is closely aligned with the overall program objectives. The DCoP will also provide senior management support on all administrative, financial, and operational functions related to the implementation of this project and the running of the two project offices in Tunis and Tripoli.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Chief of Party in the Communities in Transition Division or his designee.
The DCoP will be responsible for the technical leadership and in-country management of the project. S/he will oversee the long-term local staff and short-term experts in achieving project results. S/he will undertake regular assessments of the broader political environment within which the project operates to ensure flexibility and rapid reprioritization of activities when necessary.
Other responsibilities include:
- Provide technical direction and leadership and oversight of all administrative matters;
- Support the development of implementation strategies and work plans, and coordinate the day-to-day management of technical staff and project implementation;
- Provide leadership and oversight of the core project functions (program design, documentation, approvals, and close-out);
- Ensure that planned project activities are included in work plans, within budget and are properly documented;
- Promote a team approach and a learning culture across all operational support services to prioritize and ensure responsive, quality support to delivery of project activities;
- Ensure the consistent implementation of the project with adherence to donor policies and procedures across all operational support services;
- Represent the project in meetings and events;
- Conduct electoral security management trainings for high-level Libyan state and non-state actors to enhance electoral security and mitigate electoral violence for upcoming local and national elections;
- Provide day-to-day technical assistance and mentoring to national and local electoral security actors to support the establishment of a joint election operations center and the implementation of electoral security plans and strategic communications plans; and
- Foster and maintain collaborative relationships with Libyan state security institutions.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- At least three (3) years of experience working on electoral processes and/or the security sector;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field;
- Five (5) years’ management experience, preferably with U.S. Government-funded democracy and governance programs;
- In depth understanding of the role and mandate of government stakeholders and nonstate groups in Libya;
- Experience with activity design, development, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical assistance, including designing and leading trainings;
- Ability to work effectively and professionally with high-level government and security sector officials, civil society organizations, project staff, and other beneficiaries;
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, technical, and analytical skills;
- Fluency in Arabic and English;
- Willingness and ability to travel to Tunisia and throughout Libya as needed for project activities; and
- Work eligibility in Libya.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Exceptional organization skills and ability to work and multi-task under pressure;
- Experience engaging women, youth, and minority groups to ensure their inclusion; and
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.