The Youth Connect activity is one of several activities supporting USAID’s Bridge project, devoted to addressing the development challenges at the nexus of countering violent extremism and resilience. The goal of the activity is to equip vulnerable young women and men in Niger with technical and life skills, networks, and capital for increased strategic economic opportunities. This objective supports the overall Bridge project purpose, which is to address critical unmet needs that are the main drivers of violent extremist recruitment in the Sahel: poor governance, lack of economic opportunity, and perceived exclusion from the benefits and services provided and facilitated by governments in the region.
Creative Associates International (Creative) is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the anticipated USAID-funded Youth Connect activity. The DCOP will work in concert with the Chief of Party (COP), providing sound operational management in support of activity implementation. He or she will support the COP in all technical, operational, and management aspects of the project and ensure that all appropriate reporting requirements are met. The DCOP will report directly to the COP and will be considered Acting COP in his/her absence.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Chief of Party.
- Oversee all program operations, including administration, human resources, procurement and logistics, IT, communications, and grants;
- Ensure that program components are results-oriented, ensure high quality deliverables, and relevant and timely reporting;
- Coordinate the day-to-day management of operational staff in all project offices;
- Support the COP in managing the project team, ensuring a technically and operationally-sound program;
- Lead the development of annual work plans, milestone plans, and programmatic and operational budgeting;
- Ensure the timely preparation of required reports and deliverables, including quarterly, annual, and financial reports in accordance with USAID guidelines;
- Ensure project activities are meeting client expectations and that project results and accomplishments are disseminated appropriately;
- Work with the COP to improve implementation processes throughout the project;
- Represent the project in local, national, and international meetings and events in the absence of the COP; and
- Assist in the identification, recruitment, and management of consultants, and sub awardees as necessary.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, with additional experience in similar types of programs (Master’s degree preferred);
- At least six (6) years of experience in relevant management, supervisory, technical experience working with programs of a similar scope and scale, of which two (2) years must be working experience in fragile or post-conflict states;
- Demonstrated technical knowledge in agriculture, Positive Youth Development (PYD), economic growth, financial inclusion, countering violence extremism (CVE), or related fields;
- Experience implementing economic growth programs in the Sahel region, Niger highly preferred;
- Experience working with donor projects, USAID preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to organize program work teams;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders, and to liaise as needed with donor and home office personnel to ensure the smooth implementation of the contract;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Fluency in French and English, written and spoken.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience effectively integrating Gender Equality, Female Empowerment, and Social Inclusion (GESI) into development projects; and
- Fluency in USAID’s policies and procedures in regard to human resources, financial management, financial reporting, and procurement processes, systems, and grants management.
Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.