Chemonics seeks a deputy chief of party based in Bogota, Colombia, for the USAID Justice for a Sustainable Peace (JSP) program. The activity’s goal is to strengthen the effectiveness and capacity of the Colombian justice system, increase citizen support for the rule of law in conflict-affected regions, and confront the critical justice needs of victims of the armed conflict. The deputy chief of party will supervise the day-to-day implementation of the project’s three management units and will report directly to the chief of party. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of others around the world.
- Ensure collaboration and coordination between the project’s three management units, subcontractors, grantees, consultants, and project staff to ensure successful technical implementation and achieve results
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with stakeholders including USAID personnel, government counterparts, civil society organizations, private sector actors, and others
- Establish a common vision among the project team and translate that vision into a strategy and annual work plans, in coordination with the chief of party
- Support the chief of party in the preparation of annual work plans, annual reports, quarterly reports, and other contractual obligations required by USAID
- Assist in coordination of monitoring and evaluation activities and supervise development of deliverables
- Supervise activity design and programmatic decision-making. Participate and lead technical committees and technical negotiations with grantees and subcontractors in line with guidelines given by the chief of party and the grants and subcontracts manager
- Supervise consultants, subcontractors and grantees in close coordination with the project’s technical, administrative, and grant teams. Provide quality control on grants and subcontracts
- Ensure objectives and subobjectives are met, including budgetary and indicator goals
- Re-evaluate strategy and adjust the work plan in line with results of monitoring and evaluation activities, in coordination with the chief of party
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in a discipline related to rule of law, in any of the following: law, political science, human rights, international humanitarian law, conflict resolution, or a closely related field. A graduate degree in any of the above is preferred
- If the candidate has a graduate degree, he or she must have at least eight years of relevant experience working in rule of law, access to justice, mediation, or human rights. If the candidate does not have a graduate degree, he or she must have at 10 years of relevant experience working in rule of law, access to justice, mediation, or human rights
- Experience working in conflict-affected environments in Colombia
- Thorough understanding of the requirements of effectively functioning criminal and civil justice systems and of rule-of-law, access-to-justice, and human-rights programs
- Thorough understanding of the Colombian legal system and of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms
- Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in a fluid environment with creativity, flexibility, and perseverance
- Demonstrated ability to develop solid working relationships with USAID, senior government officials, local governments, non-governmental institutions, the private sector, and international donors involved in rule-of-law, access-to-justice, and/or human-rights activities
- Previous experience working on gender issues and access to justice for conflict-affected communities preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluent Spanish required; proficient English preferred
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Deputy Chief of Party” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 30, 2019. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted for an interview.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. The EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice is available at: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.