Deputy Chief of Party, Market Systems and Resilience
Accra or Tamale, Ghana
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency.
TechnoServe seeks a results-oriented professional to collaborate with the Chief of Party (COP) in the implementation and administration of an anticipated agricultural development program in Ghana. The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will have the exciting opportunity to help transform the agricultural sector in northern Ghana and facilitate sustainable progress for individuals, communities and market systems.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) anticipates funding the five-year Market Systems and Resilience activity in Ghana. The Market Systems and Resilience activity will facilitate the development of an inclusive, resilient, and sustainable market system to boost agriculture-led economic growth in northern Ghana. The activity will use a market systems approach and will focus on minimizing barriers that disadvantage the vulnerable, women and youth and exclude them from economic opportunities within the agriculture sector. This activity is anticipated to cover a combination of staple and high value crops.
The activity will implement solutions including:
- Enhancing access to finance across sectors for the rural poor and SMEs
- Addressing inefficiencies in the inputs distribution system
- Establishing strong and transparent relationships between actors
- Identifying energy interventions that increase agricultural productivity, competitiveness and incomes
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Support the COP in overall management of program operations, ensuring overall monitoring of the project against milestones and work-plans and implementing course corrections as needed.
- Monitor and follow up on critical management and planning issues to ensure effective and timely project execution.
- Manage review and finalization of internal and external project documents, including donor deliverables, presentation decks, studies and technical reports.
- In collaboration with the COP and Finance and Administrative Manager, support budget tracking, contract modifications, deliverable tracking against budget, and administrative follow-up.
- Support recruitment and contracting of long- and short-term staff and consultants as needed.
- Plan, organize and participate in project meetings, workshops, seminars and stakeholder events.
- In collaboration with the COP, ensure that programming execution meets TechnoServe quality standards.
- Assist COP with other strategic and operational tasks as required by the project.
- Bachelor’s Degree in international relations, economics, business, or other relevant area, and at least seven years of experience in relevant private sector or development programs.
- Or a Master’s degree with at least five years of relevant experience.
- Experience living and working in Ghana or West Africa.
- Experience supporting USAID-funded programs and familiarity with USAID regulations and procedures.
- Strong budget management and financial analysis skills, including proficiency in Excel.
- Outstanding written communication skills, including prior experience editing and proofreading documents.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to anticipate demand and manage multiple tasks and projects while meeting tight deadlines.
- Results-oriented, with demonstrated experience achieving project targets.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required
- Fluency in other local languages in the northern regions a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Detail orientation, including strong organizational, analytical and quantitative skills.
- Proven team player with strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other administrative applications.
- Strong private sector market orientation, entrepreneurial and innovative thinker.
- An estimated 3-5 mid- and senior-level staff. Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams desired.
Please note that this opportunity is contingent upon donor award.
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 202 785 4515.
About the Organization
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.