Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society.
Deputy Chief of Party, Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services, Nigeria
ACDI/VOCA is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for Feed the Future Agricultural Extension Services and Advisory Services funded by USAID in Nigeria. The anticipated project will accomplish sustainable delivery of extension services to smallholder farms which will result in increased sales of inputs, increased productivity and farmers’ incomes through the delivery of improved services across 7 states: Kebbi, Niger, Kaduna, Benue, Ebonyi, Cross-River, and Delta. The 5-year activity is envisioned to start in 2019.
The Deputy Chief of Party will support the Chief of Party in developing the strategic direction and providing technical advice across all program components in the planning, designing and implementation of activities. S/he will work closely with partners and their technical teams to ensure integration across organizations and objectives. The Deputy Chief of Party will oversee field-level program activities and ensure program targets are met. In the absence of the Chief of Party, the DCOP will assume responsibility for coordinating award management and implementation tasks, liaise with USAID/Nigeria on technical matters, and respond to the inquiries.
- Supports project planning and manages delivery-agent capacity-building activities
- Assumes responsibility for overall technical management of the project and ensures quality control and timeliness of all deliverables, and integrated vision across different interventions
- Identifies issues and risks related to program implementation and recommends solutions.
- Supervises the senior programmatic and field team managers:
- Prioritizes, organizes, distributes, and coordinates the flow of work.
- Assists with problem solving, crisis management and technical guidance.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable donor, ACDI/VOCA, and government rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and schedules.
- Makes recommendations concerning employment, termination, performance appraisals, salary actions, and other personnel action.
- Assists with the development of program budgets. Resolves routine operating problems as they arise.
- Ensures a work environment that is non-discriminatory and promotes open dialogue on gender-related issues.
- Represents ACDI/VOCA at meetings, workshops, and other events as required. Establishes relationships with public and private sector stakeholders.
- Coordinates activities with government officials, other implementers, stakeholders, and institutions active in the target areas. As necessary, facilitates communication between ACDI/VOCA and outside organizations. Plays a lead role in interacting with key implementing partners and other development partners.
- Coordinates the development of, implementation of, and timely reporting on the program. Prepares and/or assists in developing and preparing all reporting requirements, templates and periodic reports (quarterly, semi-annual and sporadic) to the donor, government, ACDI/VOCA headquarters, and other partner organizations.
- Travels to field program sites as required and appropriate.
- Master’s Degree in Agricultural Economics, Agronomy, Business Administration, Development studies, or similar is preferred; Bachelor’s Degree is required;
- Minimum 8 years of progressive responsibility managing and implementing economic growth, value chain or other programs of similar scope;
- Demonstrated proficiency in the field of people and project management, as well as strategic planning and report writing.
- Effective record of building relationships with governmental organizations, academic institutions as well as private and community organizations is required.
- Familiarity with USAID approaches and regulations is preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; native level proficiency in Hausa, Pidgin, Yoruba or one of the Cross-River languages highly desired.
Nigeria nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please e-mail your resume to AgextensionExperts@acdivoca.org or apply directly online at www.acdivoca.org/international-jobs. The applications will be reviewed promptly upon receipt, only finalists will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, regardless of ethnicity are encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Since 1963 and in 147 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion.