Job DescriptionRTI is currently seeking qualified candidates for a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)/Agricultural Productivity Specialist position on the USAID-funded Feed the Future Crop and Dairy Market Systems Development Activity. The goal of the activity is to improve productivity and incomes of smallholder Kenyan farmers and strengthen market systems. The DCOP/Agricultural Productivity Specialist will lead all activities under Priority Area 2, Diverse Agricultural Production and Improved Productivity, and support overall project performance, management, and execution ensuring all project deliverables are exceptionally completed within budget, and ensuring strong and favorable client relations. This position will be in Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel to Western and Eastern Kenya.
- Support the Chief of Party to manage technical and administrative personnel and subcontractors in the implementation of a large, complex activity to build capacity of actors in targeted value chains.
- Serve as Acting Chief of Party during any absence of the Chief of Party.
- Serve as RTI•s alternate liaison to USAID, government counterparts, private partnerships, local organizations, and program partners when COP is unavailable. Ensures a high level of communication and close working relationships with USAID.
- Assist the Chief of Party to ensure timely project implementation and technical reliability, monitor project activities, and ensure quality.
- Coordinate the development, implementation and reporting on detailed management plans that may include implementation plans, deliverable tracking, etc., in assigned area of responsibility.••
- Track and report quarterly on programmatic achievements as required for project deliverable reporting.• Produces technical and/or operational reports and updates for deliverable reporting and project success stories.
- Develop and lead project strategy for facilitating agricultural intensification and diversification, including through county partnerships and existing public and private extension systems.
- Design and lead partnerships with the agricultural inputs sector that expand access to high quality technologies and information.
- Oversee project nutrition integration and behavior change strategies.
- Oversee all grants related to Priority Area 2, ensuring catalytic investments that do not distort the market.
- Supervise a team of 6 full-time staff, as well as short-term technical assistance related to Priority Area 2.
- Master•s degree in public administration, economics, business, agricultural or rural development and at least 12 years• international experience with successful value chain development projects in the technical area of management responsibility.
- A minimum of 10 years• experience on projects with similar magnitude and complexity in developing countries.
- Demonstrated success in implementing projects aimed at increasing the productivity and inclusiveness of value chains using facilitation approaches.
- Demonstrated success in collaborating with private sector agricultural input suppliers to expand and strengthen input markets (East Africa preferred.)
- Knowledge of public and private sector agricultural extension models.
- Experience managing USAID funding, inclusive of subgrants and/or subcontracts to local partners.
- Education and technical expertise in a field related to agricultural development such as: agricultural economics, marketing, agronomy, agribusiness management or related fields.
About the OrganizationIDG Food & Agriculture