Creative Associates seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (Criminal Justice) for an anticipated 5-year USAID-funded project, Supporting Effective Justice, in El Salvador. The purpose of this program is to build the long-term and self-sustaining institutional capacity of El Salvador’s criminal justice system to deliver effective and accountable justice services that protect victims and reduce impunity for selected violent crimes and corruption.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Chief of Party.
The DCOP-Criminal Justice will serve as a Subject Matter Expert and will be responsible for interfacing with partner and other agencies to drive completion of project goals. S/he will provide strategic guidance on investigation and prosecution techniques of criminal cases with Salvadoran justice sector institutions and will oversee the expatriate and local staff assigned to his/her component.
Other responsibilities include:
- Serve as liaison with government counterparts and community stakeholders on component communications and technical implementation activities;
- Provide technical direction and leadership and oversight of all matters related to component;
- Provide technical support to the team;
- Develop and implement work plans for component activities;
- Oversee implementation of component monitoring and evaluation activities and ensure that component results are met;
- Supervise development and submission of component deliverables and provide timely and accurate reporting and briefings program management on assigned program areas; and
- Manage the component team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development and solicits constructive staff input.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in human rights, law, public administration, international relations or other related fields or 10 years of relevant experience to substitute the education requirement;
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience of progressively increasing responsibilities in development projects;
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following types of specialization: judicial reform, criminal prosecutions, criminal investigations, improving justice sector coordination, addressing gender gaps in justice, gender-based violence, victim and witness protection, or other relevant issues within criminal justice;
- Demonstrated experience in strengthening civil society and/or private sector to demand effective and accountable justice services;
- Demonstrated experience in effectively working with local government structures, senior government officials, civil society actors, other donors; and
- Speaking and writing fluency in English and Spanish, level 4 required.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience in managing International donor projects preferred;
- Experience working with criminal justice reform in Latin America or donor-led initiatives such as CICIG in Guatemala or MACCIH in Honduras; and
- Experience in producing publishable material on justice, anti-impunity and/or corruption.
Position is contingent upon award of project.
Local and regional candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.