Reporting to the Chief of Party, the DCOP will be responsible for providing the overall strategic leadership, leading the overall delivery of impact, and building coalitions and networks. The DCOP is expected to manage relationships with key stakeholders, provide direct advisory to PMU as appropriate, monitor the overall program budget and work plan, and ensure timely and cost-effective delivery of results as agreed upon with the donor. This includes working closely with technical implementation teams to ensure that resources are applied appropriately (e.g. human, financial and material) to undertake project activities, and working with the M&E staff to ensure project deliverables are monitored. The DCOP will organize sessions for development of performance management plan (PMP), annual work plan submissions and will work collaboratively with other team members on project planning, implementation and reporting. S/he will be expected to interact regularly with project team, USAID Mission staff, government officials, and other local stakeholders.
Strategic Leadership and Team Management
- Work closely with and supervise project personnel to ensure the strategic and functional integration of all technical areas and that all project assistance is technically sound and appropriate
- Oversee project planning, performance management development, and strategic communications
- Identify and evaluate strategic opportunities to collaborate with global and local public and private partners to meet project goals
- Ensure that the scope and projected impacts of the program strategy are clearly defined and understood by all team members
- Develop detailed work plan which identifies, prioritizes and sequences the activities required for successful delivery
- Ensure sufficient resources are mobilized (e.g. financial, human and information) to deliver on the work plan activities
- Ensure each member of the Project Management Unit and Home Office teams has clarity as to their role, responsibilities and short-term activities and goals
- Ensure the team and each team member is executing to the work plan and meeting targets/milestones associated with all project work streams
Public-Private Partnership Management
- Lead interactions with stakeholders at the national and international level, ensuring that communication is consistent and aligned with the project’s approach
- Provide leadership to team members in developing and maintaining close working relationships with key personnel in research institutions, education institutions, high schools, and the private sector including industry stakeholders in the selected energy value chains, as well as USAID personnel and relevant donor-funded projects.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Understand all reporting requirements (USAID, and Virginia Tech)
- Oversee that all necessary data is accurate and gathered in a timely manner
- Review data being gathered to make suggestions and adjustments as necessary
- Oversee Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Specialist in consolidating and summarizing feedback data for monthly program formative review
Reporting, Compliance, Budget Management
- Assist in the preparation of narrative reports for submission to USAID
- Ensure spending is in line with the approved budget line items
- Ensure activities carried out are responsive to the indicators approved by USAID
- In the absence of the Chief of Party, the DCOP will be required to undertake the responsibilities of that position on a temporary basis.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Advanced degree in a field related to education and/or international development
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team- building and representation skills
- Proven ability to conceptualize and lead the implementation of complex institutional relations and interactions among a variety of entities
- Exceptionally strong project management and analytical skills as evidenced by leading roles on engagements of significant scale
- Proven ability to function effectively with U.S Government- funded cooperating agencies, and contractors, host-country and government officials, USAID Mission staff, private and non-governmental organizations
- Experience in developing communication strategies and capacity building/skill development
- Demonstrated ability to build alliances and networks that can provide synergies with the project
- Fluency in English is required
- Egyptian nationals are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
To apply, please specify the title of the position to which you are applying and send a cover letter, current resume, three professional references and salary history by email to: CIRED.Jobs@gmail.com. Applications will be reviewed beginning on 8 July 2018. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply before 7/8/2018, but the position will remain open until filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Recruitment contingent upon successful award of the project.
Virginia Tech is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination or accessibility should contact the Virginia Tech Office for Equity and Accessibility.