Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party
Reports to: Chief of Party as Primary Supervisor with technical dotted line to Country Head of Operations
Type of Post: non-accompanied/no spouse
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
You will manage and represent Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) DFSA Girma project activities operating through its fully operational sub-offices in Magaria and the four additional sub-offices for the project in the Departments of Magaria and Doungass, and the town of Zinder, to ensure implementation of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable in line with Girma objectives. Out of the Magaria sub-office you will ensure the development and effective management of operational systems and resources and the delivery of high-quality programming in coordination with the CRS main office in Niamey.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Supervise the Senior Finance Officer in the strategic management of financial resources.
- Collaborate directly with the Chief of Party to ensure that project expenditures are appropriate and consistent with financial plans. Review financial reports to ensure that inter-department coordination and dispensing department behavior is such as to promote budget conformity and good cash management in accordance to donor requirement. Work with the Senior Finance Officer to take corrective action when required.
- Review program budgets to ensure that they reflect overall project priorities and expectations, mitigate risks, and reflect maximum obtainable efficiency. Review periodic forecasts with these objectives in mind.
- Authorize project field expenses.
- Ensure that the physical plant is appropriate to need and that it is managed in conformity with CRS policies.
- Ensure that transportation services other than fleet management are appropriate to need and delivered in conformity with CRS policies.
- Ensure proper stewardship of project resources, and the optimal utilization and maintenance of program assets and resources including proper inventory controls (includes oversight of inventory receiving and shipping as well as warehouse, fleet and asset management and the disposition of assets) in a way that meets CRS standards, USAID requirements, and local regulations.
- Ensure high quality reporting that allows for proper tracing and tracking of inventory and assets.
C. Human Resources
- Supervise the HR Officer in strategic management of human resources, including talent mapping, succession planning and career development. Communicate project priorities and guide him/her to ensure alignment of efforts.
- Ensure that the project is adequately staffed to meet the needs of the grant. Ensure that recruitments are conducted as per policy.
- Ensure the integrity (accuracy, security) of information from HR information systems
- Facilitate enabling conditions for learning - a safe environment for sharing ideas, challenges, and solutions - where shortcomings can be detected, analyzed, and quickly responded to. Identify capacity building needs for project teams and partners, including opportunities for interdepartmental learning.
- Ensure compensation policies and practices are administered to support internal equity, market competitiveness and policy adherence.
- Ensure implementation and continuation of performance management system.
- Perform periodic conduct systems checks in all support departments and offices to ensure compliance with CRS and USAID standards, and to ensure responsive support to staff, programs, and partners.
- Identify management system weaknesses, establish priorities, provide recommendations for improved systems performance and ensure compliance.
- Oversee compliance with local laws. Ensure that legal commitments are made in accordance with local law and US law where applicable.
- Act as lead contact for and lead responder to any issues that emerge from internal and external audits.
- Coordinate with the Head of Operations and the Risk and Compliance Manager to identify risks, proactively develop concrete actions and strategies to reduce risk levels and mitigate fraud / corruption in the implementation of the project.
- Plan, organize, liaise, oversee, and monitor CAP implementation for A-133 and other audits of subrecipients.
- In collaboration with the CRS Security Manager, proactively mitigate security risks and timely report security incidents to Girma Chief of Party and Head of Operations.
- Serve as security focal point for the region
- Ensure compliance with CRS security policies and procedures
- Ensure monitoring of the security situation in the region and communication of security information and incident reports to the main office.
F. Partner Capacity Building:
- Lead relevant project staff to help partners identify and resolve management quality issues, and to continually improve quality.
- Provide timely, efficient, appropriate technical assistance to staff and partners in management issues. This may be done directly by project staff, with support from pool MQ staff or other TDYers, as applicable.
Education and Experience
Required Languages: French and English are required, local language (Hausa) is a plus
Travel: at least 50% to all zones of operation in the region of Zinder and to the communities of intervention.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Able to live in an environment where everyday comforts may not be readily available
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Senior Finance Officer, Administrative Manager, Human Resources Officer, Fleet Manager, Secretary and Head of base-Zinder.
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)