Deputy Chief of Party, Economic Growth
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role:
Palladium seeks a Deputy Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID-funded Business Egypt project. This activity will increase income and employment in Egypt, with a focus on youth and women, by assisting the Egyptian government and private sector to encourage new entrants into the market and help firms grow and expand by raising firm-level productivity. The activity will: a) promote the growth of Egyptian micro, small, and medium-sized firms by building on USAID’s work to improve access to business development and financial services and partnering with the private sector to catalyze new investment and expansion that includes increasing their skilled workforce; and b) improve policies and regulations that affect firm-level productivity.
The Deputy Chief of Party will report directly to the Chief of Party.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Deputy Chief of Party will directly support the Chief of Party in successful management of the project, both operationally and programmatically, in line with client expectations. In the absence of the COP, the DCOP will assume responsibility for the project. Together with other USAID implementing partners, s/he will identify and put in place strategies to facilitate growth in the targeted sectors; build the capacity of SMEs to improve their productivity; and help generate jobs. The DCOP will support the Chief of Party in the successful management of all operational and programmatic functions and activities in line with the project’s Scope of Work and approved annual work plans.
- In the absence of the Chief of Party, serve as the project representative, liaising directly with USAID, Government of Egypt (GOE), Palladium HQ, local implementing partners and the local private sector
- Support the annual work plan process and completion of high-quality deliverables
- Oversee office operations, procurement, monitoring and evaluation and grants management, if applicable, in line with USG requirements
- Conduct communications and media relations in close coordination with USAID as required
- Conduct internal travel to remote regions of Egypt as directed to ensure successful project implementation
- Any other tasks assigned by the Chief of Party
- Master’s Degree in a relevant subject (MBA, MA in Business, Economics, International Development, etc.) or a BA and 10+ years of relevant experience
- Familiarity with and experience implementing strategies for SMEs in various sectors; Experience in Egypt strongly preferred
- Five years of senior management experience, including managing large budgets and teams of professionals in a developing country and oversight of financial management and procurement functions
- Experience preparing reports for USAID or other donor-funded programs
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Proven experience developing and finalizing high quality deliverables
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in English and Arabic required