Palladium seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the anticipated USAID “Strengthening Agriculture and Regional Resilience (STARR)” activity that spans across all East African Community (EAC) countries (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda), and additional countries in East Africa (Zambia, Somalia, Sudan, Djibouti and Ethiopia). The STARR activity will promote increased agricultural production, investment, trade and resilience to shocks and stresses in the East Africa region by addressing agricultural issues that can mainly be solved on a regional basis.
STARR’s interventions will be directed through four interrelated project component areas:
1) strengthening cross-border agriculture trade and value chains,
2) improved regional agricultural inputs,
3) strengthening resilience, and
4) strengthening the regional policy environment.
Purpose of Position
The DCOP will work closely with the Chief of Party to manage the day-to-day operations of the project.
Duration: 4-5 years
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
* Support the Chief of Party in the successful management of all administrative and technical programmatic functions and activities in line with the project’s Scope of Work and approved annual work plans.
* In the absence of the Chief of Party, serve as the project representative, liaising directly with USAID, country and regional governing bodies, Palladium Home Office, local implementing partners and the local private sector.
* Provide technical and managerial leadership and, in collaboration with the COP, build partnerships with key stakeholders.
* Support the adaptive management approach, and work with staff, home office and USAID to adjust programmatic approach, staffing and resources if required based on continuous monitoring of the program course.
* Support the annual work plan process and completion of high-quality deliverables.
* Conduct communications and media relations in close coordination with USAID as required.
* This position may require technical leadership in agriculture/livestock, value chain development, market linkages, agriculture/rural finance, business enabling environments for agriculture/livestock, cross border trade, or resilience.
* Master’s Degree in a relevant subject (MBA, MA in Business, Economics, International Development, etc.) or a BA and 10+ years of relevant experience.
* Five years of senior management experience, including managing large budgets and teams of professionals in a developing country and oversight of financial management and procurement functions.
* Experience designing and implementing strategies for agricultural value chains, agribusiness, agricultural trade, trade policy, and resilience.
* Experience preparing reports for USAID or other donor-funded programs.
* Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
* Proven experience developing and finalizing high quality deliverables.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Fluency in English; knowledge of a local East African language highly desirable.
* Experience across East Africa strongly preferred. Preference will be given to local East Africa country candidates.
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.