Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party- Markets and Nutrition Activity, Burkina Faso
Area of Interest: Markets, Value Chains, Nutrition, Program Quality
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Job Location: Ouagadougou, Kaya or TBD, Burkina Faso
Reports to: Chief of Party, Markets and Nutrition Activity, Burkina Faso
Note: This position is contingent upon grant and candidate approvals by the donor
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS)/Burkina Faso is preparing a response to the Markets and Nutrition RFA. The proposed program will strengthen market systems for small ruminants, poultry and cowpeas in the Centre Nord region of Burkina Faso. The estimated timeframe for this program is February 2020 – January 2025.
The overall goal of the proposed program will be to strengthen market systems such that household incomes and nutritional status are sustainably improved. The proposed program will enhance performance of commodity market systems, increase use of quality inputs and services, and increase local consumption of nutritious, safe foods.
CRS/Burkina Faso seeks qualified candidates for the position of Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP). The DCoP will be highly experienced in market system development with responsibility for supporting the COP with leadership, strategic thinking and planning, and project management. The DCoP will supervise program staff and work closely with CRS program teams and partner staff to develop high quality contextually appropriate approaches. S/he will also take learning needs into account, and develop and conduct capacity building for all program staff, with support of the Chief of Party (COP), the Gender and Social Inclusion Lead, the Markets Lead, and Regional and Senior Technical Advisors (RTAs/STAs).
Specific Job Responsibilities
Project Refinement and Organizational Learning
- Provide technical input into the design and implementation of evaluations.
- Create/adapt best practice guides, manuals and other technical resources to ensure the quality of inclusive markets and nutrition interventions in collaboration with the government and other technical partners.
- With the MEAL Lead, develop data collection tools and establish feedback mechanisms on the quality of implementation on the ground.
- Support documentation of best practices and lessons learned and facilitate their effective use to improve program quality.
- Support development of a learning agenda for the project and coordinate its implementation across the consortium.
Project Implementation and Reporting
- Monitor project implementation and ensure that quality standards are being adhered to and maintained throughout the entire implementation process.
- Plan and coordinate activities in the field in collaboration with implementing partners.
- Ensure that partners have the necessary information, guidelines, curricula and tools for quality technical implementation.
- Conduct periodic technical reviews with partners (via meetings, report review, site visits, etc.) to ensure that the direction is in line with the overall project strategy.
- Establish a strong relationship with partners and coordinate project activities with consortium members.
- Support the MEAL Lead in the collection and verification of indicator data.
- Ensure that project approaches are in line with the Government of Burkina Faso’s strategies and priorities for the sector.
- Participate actively in appropriate forums and platforms with government partners and UN and other donor partners.
- Prepare technical reports according to agreement requirements.
- Assess the technical capacity of consortium members’ staff and support CRS technical staff to undertake capacity building activities such as trainings and workshops, mentoring and accompaniment.
- Build the capacity of CRS technical staff and partner staff to understand and monitor technical indicators and to evaluate technical program performance.
- In collaboration with CoP, build strategic partnerships at national and local levels with governmental and nongovernmental organizations as well as private sector to advance the project’s strategic agenda to ensure sustainability of activities.
- Develop and coordinate strategies for ensuring integration, layering and sequencing of program activities with USAID’s other RISE II investments.
Management, Finance and Donor Compliance
- Manage program budgets, including tracking of financial and material resources and providing regular forecasts.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of program finances and progress status, review actual financial performance against the budget, and explain variances on a regular basis.
- Ensure staff compliance with all USG and CRS administrative and operational procedures and policies, as well as applicable donor regulations.
- Approve and manage financial transactions within the approved limit.
- Manage the recruitment of CRS staff (development of job description, interviews, selection committee, etc.)
Program Manager Competencies
These are rooted in the mission, values and principles of CRS and used by each program manager to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Sets clear goals and manages toward them
- Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
- Manages financial resources with integrity
- Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Key Working Relationships
Internal- CRS/Burkina Faso
Country Representative, Head of Programs, Chief of Party, Head of Operations, Gender and Social Inclusion Lead, Markets Technical Lead, Project Managers, MEAL Lead.
WARO Regional Staff (Regional Technical Advisors/Deputy Regional Directors) and CRS/HQ departments including HQ-based Value Chain, Markets, and Nutrition Advisors.
USAID, government officials and private sector representatives, international and local partners, implementing partner staff, other Burkina Faso RISE II implementers.
Qualifications and Skills
- Master’s degree in relevant subject (markets, value chain, business development).
- Minimum six years of relevant experience in senior management of development programs of similar or greater scope and complexity.
- Experience supervising and building capacity of multi-sectorial teams preferably with an international NGO.
- Strong field experience at the community level is required.
- Proven ability to establish close, trusting relationships with a variety of stakeholders including partners, government, private sector and donors.
- Experience working with large donors, USAID/FFP and/or USAID/FTF preferred.
- In-depth understanding of gender, youth and other socio-cultural factors in the context of markets programming.
- Demonstrated capacity to lead the collection, analysis and utilization of data and information in order to ensure effective program management and adaptation throughout the project’s duration.
- Demonstrated capacity to understand and advise on critical technical and operational issues related to gender- and nutrition-sensitive value chain and markets programming.
- Demonstrated experience managing budgets, finance and compliance experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with groups;
- Experience with facilitation, capacity strengthening and partnership building through formal and informal training, with the capacity to empower staff through opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Detail-oriented and excellent time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines and deliver required results in a timely and quality manner.
- Ability to work in a challenging and stressful environment with unexpected challenges.
- Ability to travel for field missions for 30-50% level of effort as needed.
- Excellent English and French language oral and written communication skills required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook required
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.