The purpose of the AgCompete project is to strengthen agriculture productivity and profitability of smallholder farmers in Nigeria. The project will be composed of three main components: design of the Agriculture Competitiveness Fund for private sector partnerships and funding to catalyze technological innovations; administration of the Agriculture Competitiveness Fund to develop private sector partnerships and provide grants; and technical assistance that directly supports, coordinates, and organizes qualifying recipients to achieve the Missions food security objectives. The project will contribute to the Mission’s overall Feed the Future strategy, which looks to improve agriculture competitiveness of smallholder farmers in Nigeria.
As the Deputy Chief of Party/ Operations, s/he is responsible for the seamless management of all operational aspects of project implementation including finances, office administration, human resources, security, procurement, local subcontractors, and grants in compliance with Creative and USG policies and procedures. In the absence of the COP, the DCOP/Operations will serve as the COP.
Reporting & Supervision:
Reporting directly to the COP, the Deputy Chief of Party will support the COP in the management of program operations and provide technical leadership and oversight, as needed. S/he will directly supervise the grants team, procurement team, the office Manager, the IT department, travel/logistics staff, and the HR and administration team. S/he will additionally serve as primary liaison for international vendors.
- Seamless management of all operational aspects of project implementation including finances, office administration, human resources, security, procurement, local subcontractors, and grants (if required) in compliance with Creative and USG policies and procedures.
- Ensure streamlined operations systems in line with Creative and donor rules and regulations;
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the portfolio of programs;
- Ensure an in-depth awareness of operational issues in the context of Nigeria;
- Streamline and maintain procurement processes to meet grant deliverables and milestones;
- Serve as the primary liaison to all grantees, subcontractors and vendors;
- Serves as primary liaison for Creative HQ on international subcontractor issues;
- Manages and oversees staff responsible for arranging travel and logistics for staff and project equipment and inventory;
- Provides timely and accurate reports on location of staff and assets and maintains proper hard and soft copy files for each. Reports may be requested by HQ or donor;
- Responsible for program compliance with Task Order, USG rules and regulations, and Creative policies and procedures;
- Supports COP in all operations tasks and duties;
- Manages, trains, and mentors key Tunisia team members in the areas of administration, logistics, human resources, procurement, budgeting and finance; and
- Respond to requests from donor and supervisors as needed.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- At least a Masters’ degree in business, economics, accounting, finance or other relevant field (or, alternately, a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 5 additional years of relevant experience);
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience, including experience with a Contractor or international NGO managing an office or program;
- Prior relevant experience with USAID or USAID-funded projects is required;
- At least 5 years of experience in senior operations and/or finance role on large scale projects ($25mln in value or more), including a significant grants component;
- Experience managing projects and/or an office with culturally diverse teams and working with counterparts from other cultures;
- Prior experience in Nigeria or West Africa is highly preferred; and
- Excellent oral and written English required.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.