Cardno seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for an upcoming USAID-funded biodiversity conservation program in Papua New Guinea (PNG). USAID aims to strengthen the management of environmental resources in PNG to promote conservation of the country’s exceptional biodiversity and enhance the resilience of its people. The biodiversity program will reduce significant threats to priority biodiversity hotspots in PNG by supporting communities to manage their customary lands, working at both national and local levels to develop the capacities needed to provide communities with the legal, technical, and financial resources required to achieve the sustainable management of natural resources in their customary lands and waters.
A DCOP’s primary responsibility is to manage and integrate all program operations to support the realization of program objectives.
- Support the COP in providing daily management of the program and oversight of staff and partners responsible for design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and use of grant funds
- Establish program management systems and ensure effective implementation of the work plan across all components
- Work with the COP and program partners to track, monitor and report on project progress and project indicators as defined in the monitoring and evaluation plan
- Work with the COP to supervise and build the capacity of local partners and provide leadership to promote effective partner collaboration.
- MSc/MA (or equivalent) in relevant field
- 7+ years of progressively responsible experience managing and implementing development projects in the Pacific in the areas of environment, biodiversity and conservation, livelihoods development, and natural resource management
- 5+ years of experience managing subcontractors or grantees on large development programs
- Experience working with a wide range of stakeholders in challenging environments to implement community-driven conservation activities
- Demonstrated familiarity with managing and implementing program activities according to donor expectations and regulations; USAID experience preferred
- Experience managing Monitoring and Evaluation systems for development programs preferred
- Previous experience in PNG preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and adherence to cultural sensitivity and diplomacy
- PNG nationals highly encouraged to apply
About the Organization
Cardno has a 50-year history of working in partnership with developing countries to deliver solutions for sustainable development. Through the expertise of professionals operating in more than 100 countries, we investigate the causes of poverty and focus on improving the physical, economic and social infrastructure that sustains communities.