Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the upcoming USAID Private Health Sector Program in Ethiopia. The project’s goal is to further strengthen private sector engagement to support service delivery to address diseases of public health importance in Ethiopia. This includes diseases that previous projects have focused on (HIV, Malaria, TB, FP/RMNCH) and include new clinical areas. The activity will concentrate in solidifying the strong foundation of work to engage private health sector participation gained in previous projects and further enhance policy, regulation, financing and facilitation of private/public partnerships in health (PPPH).
The DCOP will work closely with the Chief of Party (COP) to provide leadership for both program and program support functions. The DCOP will directly supervise the program’s senior technical and program staff and will lead development of the project’s annual work plans, overseeing the achievement of targets set in these work plans and reporting on progress toward achievement on a quarterly and annual basis. The DCOP is located in Addis Ababa and reports directly to the COP.
Position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Work in collaboration with the COP to plan and oversee senior level technical assistance to both public and private sector counterparts.
- Provide leadership for planning and implementation of program activities related to service delivery, technical assistance to strengthen health systems, and policy advocacy; ensure that program teams are collaborating effectively with administrative and M&E teams to facilitate timely delivery on planned activities.
- In consultation with the Federal Ministry of Health and Regional Health Bureaus, prepare for and manage the annual workplanning process, ensuring that project strategy and technical approaches are resulting in strengthened capacity and partnerships between the private and public health sectors. With support from home office finalize both workplans and accompanying budgets for submission to USAID Ethiopia.
- Work closely with COP and technical teams to ensure that all project activities and deliverables are programmatically sound and of the highest technical caliber.
- Work closely with technical team leaders and home office to determine needs for outside technical assistance; oversee development of ToRs to outsource specific pieces of work and deliverables; ensure oversight for and quality assurance of all deliverables produced by outside firms or consultants.
- Ensure that regular quarterly and annual program reports, along with ad hoc reports requested by the client, are accurate, of the highest quality, and submitted in a timely manner.
- Work with project program staff to establish a strong network with professionals and civil society organizations to assess the policy environment and provide input to the project Senior Management Team on issues and opportunities.
- Provide direct supervision for the Director of Clinical Services, Director of Health Policy and Systems and Regional Implementation Director and indirect supervision of the technical and operational team leaders
- Promote an enabling work environment for all employees, and facilitate recognition and reward for good performance and corrective meansures for poor performance through rigorous application of performance management measures.
- Serve as a member of the project senior management team, providing input to decision making and action planning and helping to communicate decisions and important issues to program staff accordingly.
- Work closely with Director of Monitoring Evaluation and Learning and other SMT members to ensure that quality management is well integrated into both program interventions and internal processes and procedures.
- When providing guidance, direction and oversight to project teams, ensure compliance, at all times, with USAID and Abt Associates policies, procedures and regulations.
- In the absence of the COP, serve as Acting COP and as Abt Associates’ key project representative to USAID.
- Represent the project, as required, to governmental and private sector stakeholders, other implementing partners and other members of the international health and development community in Ethiopia.
- In collaboration with COP and home office Senior Technical Coordinator, encourage project technical staff to highlight project achievements through production of success stories, abstracts for presentation at conferences and articles for publication in peer review journals.
- Minimum of MA in public health, policy or related field. MD preferred;
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience, with 6 of those years in senior positions working with public and private sector health programs;
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of public and private healthcare systems in Ethiopia;
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work;
- Excellent working relationships with key officials in the Ethiopian Ministry of Health and ability to operate at high levels in the Ethiopian and international public health communities;
- Strong communication and facilitation skills with the ability to lead high-level meetings, forums, and conferences;
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks while addressing daily management details and remaining organized and focused on long-term deadlines and strategy;
- Demonstrated leadership and team work skills, and ability to produce high-quality work in a timely, cost effective manner;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the capacity to prepare and deliver formal presentations in Amharic and English;
- Functional fluency in English required.
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.