Abt Associates is implementing USAID/Namibia’s Scaling up Access for Expanded Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision Services (SAFE) Activity, a five-year, $33 million project to increase access to and uptake of quality voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) services across Namibia. Under the project, Abt and its partners will support the Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services in reaching its goal of providing the comprehensive VMMC service package to an estimated 250,000 boys and men as part of the country’s overall strategy to sustain HIV epidemic control. The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)/Technical Director is responsible for the strategic direction, day-to-day activities and overall performance of the technical team in supporting the clinical, training, and all other technical aspects of Abt/SAFE activities in HIV prevention. S/He will provide technical leadership in VMMC. S/He will directly supervise technical staff and technical service providers. S/He represents Abt/SAFE in technical working groups and other fora with Government of Republic of Namibia.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Defines, develops, executes and continually updates the strategic plan for the Technical Team
- Provide technical quality assurance through training, mentorship, technical support and capacity building for the technical team and clinicians who implement program activities
- Makes periodic site visits to supported sites to provide oversight, supervision, and technical assistance in clinical and quality issues
- Ensures coordination of clinical activities, ensuring consistency with PEPFAR, USAID Namibia and Abt objectives
- Develops collaborative relationships with technical focal points of stakeholders (government, implementing partners, medical aid funds, professional associations etc.) in order to meet mutual goals
- Lead program monitoring, evaluating, and periodic reporting as related to HIV/AIDS service delivery, in coordination with M&E Advisor. Monitors progress towards targets and addresses bottlenecks in meeting project milestones
- Oversees the technical aspects of the project and actively pursues opportunities for new projects and initiatives
- Actively participate to the development, review and finalization of annual project work plans and quarterly reports
- Represents Abt/SAFE technically with stakeholders
- Ensures quality on all technical activities and systems at all levels
- Actively participates in the development of activities that improve the visibility of Abt such as presentations, publications, reports and abstracts
- As a member of SAFE’s Senior Management Team, the Technical Director participates in strategic decision making for the general management of the organization
- Performs other related duties as directed
- Master’s degree in health
- Minimum 5-year experience in senior level program management
- Experience in Continuous Quality Improvement strategies, specifically for VMMC program preferred.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Previous work experience managing PEPFAR-funded (USAID-preferably) projects.
- Good interpersonal and people management skills, a team player, demonstrated ability to work effectively and harmoniously with other project staff, host country counterparts, USAID, consultants, donors, and international organizations.
- Able to travel 30-40% of the time needed
- (10+) years of experience and a Master’s degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.