Position: Deputy Chief of Party, Technical – Infectious Disease and Pandemic Initiative
Reports to: Sr. VP for Technical Assistance
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 plus countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
RI is currently responding to emergencies in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iraq, Myanmar, the Philippines, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, the Syria region, Uganda, and Yemen, and previously in Nepal and Pakistan. RI takes a multi-sector approach to address the complex needs of those affected by disaster and conflict through its core sectors of Health, WASH, Education, Protection, Food Security and Livelihoods. In the last 3 years, RI has led large scale infectious disease outbreak responses in challenging environments including Ebola in Guinea, cholera in Yemen, and leishmaniosis inside of Syrian. RI has also led disease prevention programs through its Bio-Security projects and One Health initiatives in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Somalia and Yemen.
Influence the evolution of how humanitarian actors respond to global pandemic threats. RI is inviting visionaries to apply to the position of Deputy Chief of Party - Technical as part of the 3 years , USAID/OFDA funded Augmenting Capacity for Humanitarian Emergencies of Infectious Diseases with Epidemic or Pandemic Potential. In this position, you will take the technical lead in building global humanitarian capacity rapidly and effectively respond to the next major disease outbreak. The DCoP – Technical will work closely with RI’s technical directors of Health and Nutrition, WASH, Education, Protection and Food Securities and Livelihoods as well as the Director of Humanitarian Affairs to develop multi-sector guidance to respond to outbreaks requiring a humanitarian response. The DCoP will be responsible for high-level engagement and buy-in from technical experts in the field of Infectious Disease as well as across multiple humanitarian sectors to develop a cohesive and high impact approach to tackling the next global outbreak threat.
As per the USAID/OFDA Notice of Funding Opportunity “Augmenting Capacity for Humanitarian Emergencies of Infectious Diseases with Epidemic or Pandemic Potential” you will lead initiatives that may include but not be limited to: proposing systematic recommendations for the inclusion of humanitarian actors in national outbreak response plans; developing cross-sectoral guidance for infectious disease and pandemic responses; linking INGO actors with existing response management systems such as humanitarian clusters and Emergency Operations Centers; creating effective coordination between Public Health and Livestock actors to prevent sustained human-to-human transmission and disease spill-over in humanitarian settings; adapting and updating operational protocols and systems under the principles of IMS in existing EOCs and links to cluster systems; and improving capacity for health and humanitarian actors to work together in crisis and to strengthen capacity of existing institutions rather than create new ones.
This position is contingent on the issuance of USAID funding and the selection of applicants is subject to USAID approval. The location of this position is flexible.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Lead the development of technical, multi-sectoral guidance to Infectious Disease outbreak response through a highly collaborative and systematic process.
- Engage and interact with Infectious Disease experts and policy leaders as well as non-specialist humanitarian actors to improve coordination.
- Represent the consortium as the technical expert.
- Provide technical input into consortium initiatives as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast-paced environment. You should:
- Be a thought leader and expert in the field of Global Infectious Disease with 10 years of contributing to prevention, detection and response efforts
- Demonstrate capabilities in high-level strategic visioning and leadership, with experience working effectively with senior government officials/agencies, UN organizations, civil society, and national government authorities.
- Maintain a high-level, global professional network.
- Have an understanding of the humanitarian system including the cluster approach the Incident Management System, and Emergency Operations Centers.
- Possess a relevant clinical or technical degree in Infectious Disease, Epidemiology or Medicine.
- Have prior experience in the One Health approach.
- Be able to work collaboratively across multiple sectors and organizations to achieve quality results.
- Be willing to travel to potential outbreak hotspots.
For consideration, please submit: a detailed CV, cover letter, salary history, and a list of 3 supervisors (with their contact information).
We have not included a closing date for this position. Due to the critical nature of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed on any of the job boards. If you are interested, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible!
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence.
We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
About the Organization
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.