Democracy International, Inc. (DI) is seeking a qualified Deputy Chief of Party for the anticipated five-year USAID Tunisia Resilience and Community Empowerment (TRACE) project. The program seeks to promote social cohesion, reduce communities’ risk of instability and increase resilience to violent extremism. Through a rigorous community-based development approach, the program will strengthen the voices of underrepresented groups (including women and youth in rural and peri-urban areas) and actively engage community members as participants and leaders in the full cycle of design, management, and evaluation of development activities
This position would be based in Tunis, Tunisia, and would be contingent on the award of the project to DI.
- Assist the Chief of Party with strategic and operational planning, including work planning, and ensure project compliance with all contractual reporting and financial requirements of USAID and DI.
- Support and oversee the management of deadlines, drafting of reports, maintenance of records, and monitoring achievement of benchmarks in the contract
- Assist the Chief of Party in creating and maintaining good working relationships with USAID, Government of Tunisia counterparts, local organizations, and other program partners
- In coordination with the Operations and Finance & Administration teams, oversee financial tracking systems and coordinate and monitor project budgets to ensure all expenditures are in compliance with DI and donor regulations and within the scope of the program’s long-term budget;
- Ensure that timely cash flow analyses and projections are provided and accurate for internal management purposes and to the donor, as needed;
- Review and oversee administrative, procurement, and financial management procedures and recommend improvements as needed;
- Oversee staff capacity-building across the program and provide evaluation and workforce management to ensure their continued growth;
- Represent DI externally at meetings, workshops, and other events; and
- In the absence of the Chief of Party, act as a key liaison with the host country government and USAID offices in Tunisia and Washington, DC in the areas of oversight, reporting, and compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Advanced university degree in a related field preferred but not required;
At least 5 years of demonstrated experience in successfully managing complex international development projects;
- Experience working in Tunisia or the MENA region strongly preferred;
- A proven record of fostering partnerships and coordinating project implementation in a complex and dynamic political and international partner donor programming environment;
- Demonstrated experience managing human resource, operations, procurement, subawards, and financial management functions under complex donor-funded activities;
- Familiarity with best practices, approaches, and methodology in programming related to CVE, Community Development, or Youth Engagement stronlgy preferred;
- Fluency in French or Arabic required. English strongly preferred.
About the Organization
Democracy International, Inc. (DI) provides technical assistance, analytical services, project implementation, and monitoring and evaluation for democracy, human rights, governance, conflict mitigation, and other programs worldwide for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. State Department, and other development partners. Since its founding in 2003, Democracy International has worked with civil society organizations, political parties, election-management bodies, government agencies, legislatures, justice-sector institutions, and others in 70 countries. DI is an equal opportunity employer.