IREX seeks Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) candidates for an anticipated five-year $15 million USAID-funded media development program in Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan. The objective of this activity is to generate a more balanced information environment in Central Asia to increase openness among youth and adults for differing ideas, opinions and perspectives. This, in turn, will increase engagement of youth and adults across Central Asia in more informed civic participation. The DCOP will be based in Kazakhstan and will provide technical leadership in the project.
This position is contingent on funding. Citizens of Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the COP in providing strategic and technical leadership to the program.
- Fulfill the responsibilities of the Chief of Party (COP) in his/her absence.
- Oversee and monitor quality of organizational capacity development to local organizations.
- Oversee and provide technical assistance to project beneficiaries in one or more of the following technical areas: media management; media literacy; social media; development of local content; gender equality; women’s empowerment within media development; or media law.
- In concert with the COP, ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget.
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff, implementing partners, and project beneficiaries and work in close coordination with the project COP and IREX’s home office.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- At least seven (7) years of progressive international experience working in journalism, media sector strengthening and reform, civic engagement, or related fields.
- Familiarity with the challenges faced by media system actors in Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan. Specialization in a technical area related to media development in the region preferred.
- Familiarity with the key government stakeholders, relevant private sector actors and civil society organizations working on media issues, and an understanding of the dynamics and relationships among them.
- Significant experience in managing donor supported development projects of similar size and complexity.
- Similar experience with another USAID-supported project; knowledge of USAID regulations and procedures.
- Substantial experience in implementing complex media development projects.
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively on the technical aspects of implementation with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Proven track record of working effectively with other projects, media and civil society, high-level host country host government counterparts, and other international partners.
- Must possess the technical, managerial and communication skills to assume all related responsibilities of the COP position on a full-time basis if needed.
- Effective oral and written communication credentials.
- Strong representational and organizational skills.
- Fluent English and Russian language skills are required. Ability to speak regional/local languages, such as Tajik or Uzbek, strongly preferred.
Go to https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oKUD7fw8&s=Devex to submit your CV for consideration.
About the Organization
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.