Position: Deputy Country Director (DCD) - Programs
Location: Sana’a – Yemen
Reports to: Country Director
Duration: 12 months
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
This Senior Management Team position is directly reporting to the Yemen Country Director. This position requires a dedicated, experienced and highly motivated individual capable of living and working in a tough environment while maintaining a positive attitude, leading by example to ensure a healthy work environment.
This position will also require exceptional flexibility in job function to serve the needs of a new program in a complicated context.
The DCD Program is a senior leadership position within the Country Office team. S/he will implement effective systems and ways of working in order to promote community participation, as well as ensuring high quality, evidenced based, and integrated programming. The DCD Program is responsible for overall achievement of RI’s Country Strategic Plan and RI Way. S/he will ensure key donor relationships are strengthened and maintained.
The DCD Program is responsible for thematic quality and design, thematic leadership in New Business Development as well as Program Quality Assurance. S/he will manage and support technical advisors who ensure that field teams are appropriately supported to grow the portfolio, ensure program quality and foster effective partnerships. The DCD Program will ensure an active learning agenda. The DCD Program will also be responsible for coordinating and managing unexpected events and program needs as they arise.
ESSENTIAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The DCD Program is responsible for the effective and quality delivery of the overall program and its activities in close coordination with the Area managers and core sectors Technical Advisors in country, regional and global offices; in accordance with Yemen country strategy and the Relief International’s global strategy.
- Develop new programmatic initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Develop long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the program
- Provide overall guidance and direction focusing the program team on achieving agreed targets and long-term strategic objectives;
- Develop Core Sector Strategy in Coordination with Core sector technical advisors in country
- Contribute and lead program development efforts by identifying opportunities and working with Yemen CD, as well as RI’s regional and headquarters-based Program Development department to draft proposals to respond to those opportunities
- Participate in the development of funding proposals for the program to ensure the continuous delivery of services; Innovation and creativity will be essential.
- Identify and evaluate the risks and possible threats associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks, communicating and collaborating regularly with the CD, Operations Manager and Security Manager.
- Ensure effective management of the core sector Technical Advisors, M&E and Grant units, leading by example, supporting them in their efforts to direct the implementation of programs in coordination with Area Managers.
- Participate in the recruitment, selection, orientation and training of key project/ program staff, and other staff
- In collaboration with the HR team, develop an adapted and focused capacity building plan for national staff
- Ensure timely and quality staff performance management of directly managed staff, making sure all program team follows best practices in this regard
- Ensure proper communication within the program team, making sure that the strategy, decisions and future endeavors are shared in a transparent manner
- In collaboration with the HR team, help address disciplinary, conflict and abuse issues within the program team
- In accordance with RI’s HR policy and in-line with RI’s staff care efforts, maintain a healthy work environment, with reasonable workloads and proper leaves. Work with the RHRM to assess and prevent risks of excessive stress and burnout in the workplace
- Oversee all technical aspects of programs being implemented by RI Yemen.
- Oversee the preparation and submission of technical and program reports as per the grant agreement;
- Report progress of program implementation to the donor periodically through required weekly, monthly or quarterly reports;
- Ensure effective and agile program contingency plans are always up to date and evolving as needed.
- Ensure that program activities comply with all donors’ regulations, Yemeni legislation and professional standards
- Develop forms and records to document program learning
- Provide guidance to staff on all issues related to program quality
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- In collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Department, develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the program and to identify and support Program Implementation Director to implement action plans regarding areas for improvement
- Ensure program quality control, monitoring, evaluating and documenting of program learnings
- Following M&E reports, recommend and implement changes to enhance the program, as appropriate;
- Attend meetings with donors and other stakeholder in coordination with CD
- Maintain effective communication with donors and other stakeholders
- Participate in NGO sector coordination groups and identify areas for coordination and collaboration; Networking and bilateral meeting are key to success in this context.
- Maintain effective communication with CD and other Core sector s technical advisors, Area Managers and with RSO regarding program implementation as required;
- Perform other duties as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment. Creativity, flexibility, strong work ethic and a sense of humor are highly valued.
- Master’s degree in a relevant Humanitarian/Development field or Bachelor’s degree with commensurate work experience; technical experience in livelihoods, health and/or WASH, strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of professional program management experience in conflict settings; including Program development and proposal writing experience.
- Solid background and knowledge of USAID, ECHO and UN Rules and Regulations;
- Extensive contacts with donors, U.N. agencies and other international emergency response and development actors;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- The RI Yemen Country Office fosters an environment of respect for all coworkers regardless of level of seniority. Capacity building of national staff is a core competency of every international position, and international staff will be evaluated on their ability to strengthen the skills and growth of more junior staff and institutional partners;
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) required; Arabic language skills are highly advantageous;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation