Role & Responsibilities
Manage the development and oversee the implementation and development of the programme and support functions to facilitate the implementation of the country strategy. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the programme, the Deputy Country Director also plays a key role in external representation, legal compliance, grant management, programme coordination and team leadership.
Emergency nutrition, health, WASH and food security projects targeting displaced, conflict- and drought-affected vulnerable populations in central and southern Afghanistan. Resilience and early recovery projects aimed at long term and sustainable behaviour change in the general population to improve public health.
Field based position in Kabul, Afghanistan, with trips to remote field sites where living and working conditions will likely be more basic.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
March 2020. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Programme Design & Management
- Contribute to the development of the country programme strategy.
- Lead the design and development of new projects in collaboration with the country team.
- Oversee programme implementation in consultation with the relevant senior field managers (programme support) and in accordance with the project proposals, ensure objectives are met within the required time frames and budgets. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan, including resource needs analysis and covering the time frames.
- Support field managers in all aspects of finance, administrative, HR and logistics management.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines, to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardised procedures and improved support.
- Ensure the timely submission of high-quality concept papers and proposals.
- Support Project Coordinators as needed to ensure effective implementation of projects in Afghanistan.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities to the Country Director, GSO, Clusters and donors.
- Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings (or GSO in the Country Director’s absence).
- In-country focal point for cash programming, conflict sensitive programming, and gender/protection mainstreaming. Support the field teams with training materials, technical advice and support in these areas.
- Line manages designated staff, including delegation of tasks, setting objectives and follow up with staff.
- Facilitate regular communication between departments and develop and build an effective team, through a consultative leadership style and an honest and supportive communication structure.
- Reflect the vision and live the values of Medair at all times, especially when interacting with team members and provide leadership, advice and support as needed.
- Develop direct reports to improve knowledge, competence and performance.
- Assist the Country Director in managing security incidents, as required.
- Lead the Security Management Team in the Country Directors’ absence.
- Assist the County Director in enforcing and updating local security guidelines and manuals.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of programme related activities and requirements.
- Assist in linking field locations together and promote the sharing of information and lessons learned.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with programme stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Act as focal point for AAP, ensuring that structures and response mechanisms are established and in use. Create training materials and disseminate to field staff. Provide reports to senior management.
- In consultation with the Project Coordinators, develop monthly sitrep templates for each project and ensure that these are being submitted monthly and shared with the Country Director.
- Be responsible for programme implementation in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards (e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc).
- Regularly assess and provide feedback on the quality of activities during field visits.
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation, and follow-up to check that corrective actions are implemented.
- Develop systems to prevent loss or fraud.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in Management/Development/Business Administration or relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years of experience in a senior leadership position. Experience in the implementation of aid projects.
- Experience in preparing proposals and donor reports.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards, other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols, and commitment to best practice.
- Good numerical and report writing skills. Problem solving ability. Excellent communicator.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.