Role & Responsibilities
Manage the development and oversees the implementation and development of the programme and support functions to facilitate the implementation of the country strategy. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the programme, the Deputy Country Director also plays a key role in external representation, legal compliance, grant management, programme coordination and team leadership.
In response to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Yemen, Medair will expand its activities focussed on delivering life-saving health and nutrition services to conflict affected communities. Medair projects include primary healthcare and public health interventions as well as implementing community management of acute malnutrition and WASH. Medair works in partnership with ZOA. ZOA will provide other WASH activities in the same communities.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Aden, Yemen. The role will mainly be office-based in Aden, but with trips to remote field sites where living and working conditions will likely be more basic.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
June 2020. Full time, 24 months. Medair experience requested.
Key Activity Areas
Programme Design & Management
- Contribute to the development of the country programme strategy, with sub-offices and other leads for strategy.
- Lead the design and development of new projects in collaboration with the country team.
- Oversee programme implementation in consultation with the relevant senior field managers and in accordance with the project proposals, ensure objectives are met within the required time frames and budgets.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the programme covering the time frames of the project proposals.
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with all country teams supporting implementing the programme plans.
- Support field managers in finance, administrative, human resource and logistics management, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements and country programme strategy.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines and with the relevant field managers and GSO staff, so as to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardised procedures and improved support.
- In collaboration with the PFM ensure the timely submission of high-quality concept papers and proposals.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities to Country Director, GSO, Clusters and donors.
- Ensure regular project monitoring and evaluation against project objectives takes place. Ensure the CD and other relevant staff are kept informed of progress and grant spending, and that corrective measures are taken.
- In-country focal point for cash programming, conflict sensitive programming, and gender/ protection mainstreaming. Support the field teams with training materials, technical advice and support in these areas.
- Line manage designated staff, including delegation of tasks, setting objectives and follow up with staff.
- Facilitate regular communication between departments and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Reflect the vision and live the values of Medair at all times and especially when interacting with team members, beneficiaries, and external contacts. Provide team members with leadership, advice and support.
- Develop direct reports to improve their knowledge, competence and performance.
- Assist the Country Director in managing security incidents, as required.
- Lead the Security Management Team in the Country Directors’ absence.
- Assist the County Director in enforcing and updating local security guidelines and manuals.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of programme related activities and requirements.
- Assist and promote the sharing of information and lessons learned across programme locations.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with programme stakeholders, and ensuring good partnerships.
- Act as focal point for AAP, ensuring that structures and response mechanisms are established and in use. Create training materials and disseminate to field staff. Provide monthly reports to senior management.
- In consultation with the Project Coordinators, develop monthly sitrep templates for each project and ensure that these are being submitted monthly and shared with the CD.
- During field visits, assess and provide feedback on the quality of the assigned programme activities.
- Ensure frequent and appropriate monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and s outputs is taking place. In collaboration with relevant M&E and technical advisors, follow-up to see that corrective actions are implemented.
- Support the project teams to develop and implement M&E plans with support from the relevant Sector Advisors.
- Review, develop and implement systems to improve transparency and to detect and prevent loss or fraud.
- Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and CHS standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management/Development Studies/Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject – preferably public health related.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 1-2 years of experience in a senior leadership position.
- Experience in the implementation of aid projects, in preparing proposals and donor reports.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Problem solving ability. Excellent communicator. Good numerical and report writing skills.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Advanced leadership and management skills.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.