Role & Responsibilities
Manage all aspects of the implementation and development of the programme and support functions to facilitate the implementation of the country strategy. Provide leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair programmes. Play a key role in external representation, legal compliance grant management, programme coordination and team leadership.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Water and Sanitation and NFI distributions across fixed and emergency response locations. Goal is to assist in improving health and water and sanitation conditions for vulnerable people in South Sudan.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan Juba based with frequent travel to the field locations. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
October 2019. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- To deputise for the Country Director in his / her absence.
- Actively participate and contribute to the development and review of the SDS Strategy.
- Contribute and support the development of proposals and reports for the respective projects.
- Oversee programme implementation in consultation with the relevant senior field managers (programme and programme support) and in accordance with the project proposals, ensure objectives are met within the required time frames and budgets. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with all country teams implementing and supporting the programme plans.
- Support field managers in all aspects of finance, administrative, human resource and logistics management, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements and country programme strategy.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines, as appropriate and with the relevant field managers and GSO staff, so as to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardised procedures and improved support.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the programme, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frames of the project proposals.
- Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and GSO.
- Supervise the project budget management and expenditure, in collaboration with field managers and GSO staff, ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
- Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 5 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- 3 year post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Experience in training/mentoring staff.
- Advanced leadership and management skills; ability to build trust and enforce procedures.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills; committed to team-building.
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the ”Current Vacancies” page then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.