In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation’s Indonesia Office in Jakarta is seeking a Deputy Country Representative. This is a senior leadership position, overseeing programs and operations funded by public and private donors. The Deputy Country Representative will be actively involved in all areas of the Foundation’s operations, including financial, administrative, and personnel management, as well as help to oversee program development in the Foundation’s core areas of assistance: advancing democracy, good governance, and civic engagement; addressing environmental challenges; empowering women; and promoting dialogue on regional cooperation. The Deputy Country Representative also plays a key role in representing the organization with the Indonesian government, public sector institutions, civil society partners, donors, diplomatic missions, and the media.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as social science, law, public policy, international development, economics, foreign affairs or Asian Studies
- Minimum 12 years of experience managing international development programs, offices, or organizations, preferably in Asia
- Experience in human resource management, financial management and budget control, and strategic planning
- Strong skills in supervising, motivating, and building the capacity of multi-national staff and teams
- Excellent program management skills and experience, including designing new programs, establishing monitoring and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with donor regulations, coordinating across multiple programs, and identifying solutions to implementation challenges
- Substantive knowledge and technical expertise in at least one of the office’s key programming areas indicated above
- Proven fundraising ability
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent written communication skills, including proposal writing and report editing
- Strong representational and diplomatic skills; as well as interpersonal and intercultural competence
Who are we looking for?
- Preferred: Work experience in Indonesia; language proficiency in Bahasa Indonesia.
The ideal candidate is passionate about leading programs and people in a collaborative, innovative, culturally sensitive way that advances the impact of The Asia Foundation’s work. You are a detail-oriented manager and clear communicator who establishes shared goals and ensures accountability in carrying out operational and programmatic initiatives to the highest standards. You harness the talents and ideas of your staff and Asia Foundation partners, and excel at fostering a culture of mutual respect and learning. You are adept at analyzing and solving problems, managing multiple responsibilities, prioritizing issues, and maintaining stability in a challenging context.
Why work at The Asia Foundation in Indonesia?
You will have the opportunity to contribute to the country’s development and, more broadly, to the development, stability, and growth of the Asia region. You will help promote a more effective and constructive engagement between government and citizens, address critical environmental challenges, strengthen the role of women in Indonesian society, and advance learning and awareness about the country. You will work with and learn from dedicated, smart, and accomplished colleagues, program partners, and local leaders and, in the process, improve your skills and grow as a development professional.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications should be submitted by visiting our website: www.asiafoundation.org and selecting “Careers” Please submit a CV and cover letter in order to be considered. The application deadline is August 26, 2019.
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. No phone calls please.
About the Organization
About The Asia Foundation
The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, our work across the region addresses five overarching goals—strengthen governance, empower women, expand economic opportunity, increase environmental resilience, and promote regional cooperation.
Headquartered in San Francisco, The Asia Foundation works through a network of offices in 18 Asian countries and in Washington, DC. Working with public and private partners, the Foundation receives funding from a diverse group of bilateral and multilateral development agencies, foundations, corporations, and individuals. In 2016, we provided $87.8 million in direct program support and distributed textbooks and other educational materials valued at $9.5 million.