In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation is seeking a Deputy Country Representative for its office in Yangon, Myanmar. The Deputy Country Representative is a senior position, overseeing programs and operations funded by public and private donors. The Deputy Country Representative will be actively involved in all areas of the Foundation’s operations, including financial, administrative, and personnel management, as well as help to oversee program development in the Foundation’s core areas of assistance: Local Governance, Peace Process Support, Women’s Empowerment, Social Accountability, Safety and Security, Public Policy, and Economic Empowerment. The Deputy Country Representative also assists the Country Representative in representing The Asia Foundation with the Myanmar government, public sector institutions, civil society partners, donors, diplomatic missions, and media. The Deputy Country Representative supports Program Managers in program design, monitoring, implementation, and reporting.
SUMMARY OF POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direction of the Country Representative, the Deputy Country Representative provides leadership support and is responsible for assisting the Country Representative in managing the Foundation’s work in Myanmar, including: security, administration, fiscal management, and grant management; the direction, supervision, and evaluation of employees; and the design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of program activities as assigned. The Deputy Country Representative also assists the Representative in representing The Asia Foundation with host government, donors, partner agencies, diplomatic missions, national and international institutions, and the media.
Daily contact with the Country Representative, national and international staff; regular direction of consultants, interns and external Foundation contractors.
Regular contact with the Foundation’s home office units of Asia Operations Coordination; Financial Services; Public Sector Development Services; Program Specialists Group; and with Foundation Representatives and Deputy Representatives in Asia. Contact as needed with Executive Vice President; Vice President and Program Theme and unit Directors; Chief Philanthropy Officer and Resource Development unit staff; Vice President and Washington, D.C. office staff; Chief Communications Officer and Global Communications unit staff; Chief Financial Officer; and the Chief Human Resources Officer and Human Resources unit staff.
Regular contact with host government officials and agencies in Myanmar, national and international partners, consultants, and grantees. Regular contact with bi-lateral and multi-lateral development assistance agencies, private sector and individual donors, diplomatic missions, national and international NGO directors and staff, professional associations, academic and national institutions, national and international media.
Financial Management and Administration:
• Contributes to the development of project budgets, the fiscal year country budget and spending projections; ensures that budgets and spending projections are kept up-to-date and relevant; ensures expenditures are within approved budgets and that spending targets are met.
• Assists with the oversight of compliance with all grant and contract requirements, and related regulations and procedures.
• Assists with the oversight of due diligence requirements of sub-grants and sub-contracts.
• Assists with the oversight of compliance with all accounting procedures; prepares and submits timely financial reports to the Foundation and donors as required. Promotes financial accountability and transparency.
• Ensures compliance with administrative, grant management and financial policies and practices.
Program Development and Management:
• Contributes to the development of an integrated country strategy in compliance with the Foundation’s thematic, program, operational and financial strategies and priorities.
• Assists with the development of annual plans and reports; takes responsibility for achievement of objectives; leads program design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
• Contributes to the development of fundraising strategies and plans; prepares proposals in accordance with Foundation and donor protocols and guidelines.
• Coordinates engagement of technical expertise from Foundation staff and external consultants for program development, implementation and evaluation.
• Develops and submits timely reports as required; maintains, updates and ensures the availability of accurate program information, documentation and publications as necessary.
Supervision and Staff Development:
• Participates in the recruitment, orientation, training, supervision and promotion of international and national staff; consultants and interns.
• Assists with the implementation and compliance with personnel management, benefits and compensation policies and practices.
• Participates in staff performance evaluation and planning system and process; identifies opportunities for the professional development of national staff.
• Assists the Representative in establishing and maintaining effective and professional relationships with the Myanmar government, national institutions, program partners, development assistance agencies, donors, diplomatic missions, national and international NGOs, professional associations, academic and national institutions.
• Assists the Representative in establishing and maintaining constructive public relations in Myanmar; ensures professional standard of Foundation facilities; assures positive profile through media coverage of programs and events.
• Participates in local and international meetings and events to enhance public awareness of the Foundation and to expand the Foundation’s professional network and access to relevant information.
• Contributes to articles, written materials and documentation for publication; contributes to scholarly or development community knowledge about Myanmar, development programs, issues or trends.
• Participates in Foundation meetings and other relevant professional forums and events.
• Serves as the Acting Representative in the absence of the Country Representative.
• Promotes safety and security of Foundation staff and facilities; raises staff safety awareness, undertakes risk assessments, and develops and implements crisis management plans in accordance with Foundation protocols.
• Provides support as assigned to other Foundation offices in program development, proposal writing, representation or other activities.
• Participates in Foundation-led initiatives, task-forces and committees as assigned.
• Undertakes other duties as assigned.
Experience and Skills:
• Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible professional experience, or the equivalent, in managing large international development programs and staff with private, public, bi-lateral or multi-lateral development institutions and/or non-profit organizations
• Experience in human resource management, financial management and budget control, and strategic planning
• Demonstrated management, team building, and supervisory skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong proposal and report writing ability
• Proven fundraising ability
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Effective interpersonal and intercultural skills
• Living and working experience in Asia
• Preferred: Language proficiency in Myanmar
• Preferred: Living and working experience in Myanmar
Education and Technical Expertise:
• Graduate degree in relevant field
• Technical expertise in one of the Foundation’s core areas of assistance, as listed above with a preference for Women’s Empowerment
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate is passionate about leading people in a collaborative, innovative, culturally sensitive way that advances the impact of the Asia Foundation’s work. You are a detail-oriented manager and clear communicator who establishes shared goals and ensures accountability in carrying out programs to the highest standards. You harness the talents and ideas of teams and partners, and excel at fostering a culture of mutual respect and learning. You are adept at analyzing and solving problems, managing multiple responsibilities, prioritizing issues, and maintaining stability in a challenging and insecure context.
Why work at The Asia Foundation?
You will have the opportunity to contribute to development in Myanmar and, more broadly, to the development, stability, and growth of the dynamic Asian region. You will help promote a more effective and constructive engagement between government and citizens, strengthen the role of women and minorities, and advance learning and awareness about the country. In Myanmar, other Asian countries, and with headquarters, you will work with and learn from dedicated, smart, and accomplished colleagues, program partners, and local leaders. In the process, you will improve your skills and grow as a development professional.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be submitted by visiting our website: www.asiafoundation.org and selecting “Careers/Regular Employment.” To be considered, please upload your cover letter, resume, and answer the assessment questions provided. The application closing date is Friday, August 17, 2018.
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. No phone calls please.