- Based in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, with travel to provinces
- Long Term Adviser role
The Partnership Arrangement between the Government of Papua New Guinea and the Government of Australia for Improved Decentralisation and Service Delivery reflects the desire to cooperate on Papua New Guinea’s stated priority of improving service delivery, economic opportunity and development outcomes by strengthening the decentralisation system of government and enhancing engagement with citizens. The Partnership Arrangement states three broad objectives:
- Local solutions for local challenges- frontline service delivery and economic opportunity in the provinces and districts are improved;
- Papua New Guinea’s citizens engage and participate in the development of their communities; and
- Papua New Guinea’s policies for decentralised service delivery are well developed and well understood.
Acknowledging the diversity of Papua New Guinea’s sub-national governments and local communities and the complex service delivery and development issues, ‘best fit’ local solutions are supported with delivery partners including local governments, communities, citizens, private sector and churches. This partnership is a priority under the broader auspices of the Government of Papua New Guinea – Government of Australia Partnership.
The Deputy Director will be responsible for providing strategic management and advice across Decentralisation and Citizen Participation Partnership (DCPP) while also managing the day-to-day operations of a dynamic team made up of Program Managers and Technical Advisers to deliver the annual work plan and budget.
- Provide strategic and technical management oversight including strategic planning and stakeholder management.
- Relationship management across development partners, subnational governments, Non-Government Organisations (NGOs), community groups and relevant actors who influence service delivery at the subnational level; positioning DCPP to leverage these relationships for outcomes and impacts.
- Provide high quality advisory services on decentralisation and citizen participation challenges and programming, building strong institutional linkages and facilitate high quality knowledge creation, management and dissemination.
- Ensure the principles of gender equality and social inclusion are mainstreamed throughout DCPP, as well as piloted in innovative and high-impact initiatives.
- Provide robust operational management for DCPP, including program implementation, budget management, risk management and reporting.
- Drive cohesion and efficiency with other Partnerships and Abt Management Services through seeking (and acting upon) opportunities for greater collaboration.
The successful candidate will bring:
- Degree level qualifications in public administration, decentralisation, economics, development, public financial management, community development or related a field.
- More than 10 years of senior management experience in the development and implementation of governance programs, with experience in a developing country context essential.
- Deep understanding of technical and political economy issues relating to decentralisation, subnational service delivery, power sharing, and how these factors influence program selection, design and implementation.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and proven experience in developing and maintaining relationships with senior partner government officials, donor representatives and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to build effective teams and lead collaboration and cooperation, and enable program coherence towards a clear vision and direction.
For Further Information and Application Details
This role has been classified under the Aid Adviser Remuneration Framework as Discipline D, Level 3.
Further information in regards to this opportunity can be found in the Position Description available from the Careers page of Abt Associate’s website: http://jtai.turborecruit.com.au/job/job_details_view.cfm?id=1023019
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associate’s website, and should include a current CV, cover letter and a response to the key selection criteria, including questions of due diligence.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 22nd July 2018 (5.00pm local time)
We welcome and thank all applications, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About the Organization
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.