Working within the International Finance Unit, the International Finance Deputy Director coordinates comprehensive financial management support for the Africa region and other LWR clients. As a key leader within the organization the Deputy Director will coordinate critical strategic business planning and decision support for Africa region and clients. The position also ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, applicable regulatory requirements, specific donor requirements, and internal policies and procedures.
- Support Overseas Offices – Coordinate comprehensive financial management support for assigned overseas offices and other clients. This support includes the review of financial reports and their incorporation into the HQ G/L; provide timely accounting and other financial management technical support and advice to country offices; ensuring compliance with internal policies and procedures and all applicable external donor rules and regulations.
- Coordinate Financial Management of External Awards – Provide direct support for the required monitoring, analysis, compliance management, and reporting of external awards throughout their lifecycle. This includes awards received from U.S. Government agencies, foundations, and other donors, either directly as the prime recipient or indirectly as a subrecipient.
- Support LWR’s New Business Development (NBD) Unit – Work closely with the NBD team in providing business analysis and budget development support related to proposal development and other acquisition efforts pertaining to institutional funds.
- Build Financial Management Capacity - Contribute to IF’s development and delivery of essential training materials and other tools targeting enhanced financial and compliance management performance of staff (HQ and Field) and partner organizations. This includes the development of streamlined accounting and finance procedures and enhanced budget/financial performance monitoring tools that support successful project delivery and administration.
- Support Effective Compliance and Internal Controls – Contribute to the design, implementation, and maintenance of effective internal controls for assigned Country Offices and other clients and assist partners with similar efforts. Monitor systems and controls to help ensure that country offices and partners are compliant with LWR’s and donors’ policies and procedures.
Provide required financial analysis and overall strategic business decision support to Africa Regio and other clients
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or a related field. CPA or master’s degree in an appropriate discipline preferred;
- 5 to 8 years of professional experience accounting, budget, and financial reporting operations with experience in international non-profit accounting;
- Knowledge of US accounting standards for non-profit organizations;
- Knowledge of US government grant-making rules and regulations;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with local and/or international non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations, and other grassroots organizations. 2 or more years working abroad preferred;
- Demonstrated client support and management skills in a multi-cultural context. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of varied backgrounds;
- Ability to develop and deliver effective training curricula on appropriate finance and administrative topics, especially for a non-finance audience;
- Strong analytical and innovative problem-solving skills with the proven ability to manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines and competing priorities;
- The ability to analyze complex situations without clear precedents, frame key issues, apply relevant criteria, and propose a range of viable options and recommendations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work effectively with cross-departmental teams;
- Effective supervision and motivational skills in leading team efforts to meet unit and overall departmental objectives within required timelines;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, general ledger applications (Quick Books and MIP preferred), and other database enterprise systems required for supporting international operations;
- Fluency in English required. Proficiency in French preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 20 percent of his/her time and to effectively manage staff stationed in global locations.
- Commitment to LWR’s core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Experience with and commitment to working in a diverse and multi-cultural environment.
About the OrganizationLutheran World Relief (LWR) is a non-governmental organization founded in 1945 to respond to the needs of communities devastated by World War II. Since then, it has evolved from a relief agency shipping material resources to war-torn Europe to an agency that works with partners worldwide to respond to emergencies, seek lasting solutions to rural poverty, and work for peace and justice for all. LWR works to promote equity, strengthen organizational capacity, and empower communities to have a voice in decisions that affect their lives, while continually learning to increase our impact. Headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland, LWR works to reduce poverty and injustice by helping communities increase and expand the resources they need to live productive, healthy and empowered lives.