Requisition ID: req1551
Job Title: Deputy Director for Operations
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The International Rescue Committee has opened a new country program in Mali since 2012. Our programs span the range from humanitarian relief to development activities, focusing on child protection, education, reproductive health and nutrition, rural livelihoods, gender based violence, water and sanitation. We work in the north, the center and south of Mali.
Conflict and drought have displaced hundreds of thousands both within Mali and in neighboring countries. The security situation in the north and the center remains fragile and the Islamic groups operating there are hostile to the peace agreement and the redeployment of the authorities. Nevertheless the needs of IDPs affected by conflict and host communities are widespread and the issue of humanitarian access still complex and difficult to manage.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Deputy Director for Operations (DDO) oversees the country program’s critical support functions: human resources, administration, Information Technology, communications, supply chain and security, ensuring that all the necessary systems, policies and procedures are updated, rolled out, understood, and implemented in all locations. S/he is a member of the country senior management team, reports to the Country Director and supervises the Logistics Coordinator, Human Resources Manager, the Security Coordinator, the Information Technology Manager.
The DDO will be contribute to project budget design through taking the lead in the development and oversight of project support costs in collaboration with the CD, Finance Controller, DDP and Grants Coordinator. He will also contribute to the update and development of the SAP Mali.
The DDO will work closely with the Deputy Regional Director Operations (DRDO) at HQ.
* Develop a sound understanding of the IRC’s programs including the follow-up of the SAP (for the operations) such that the DDO can substitute for the CD when needed.
* Deputise for the CD during absence from the mission taking on all general management duties.
Policies, Procedures and Coordination
* Ensure functional operational support is in place in all sites to achieve results across program sectors.
* Implement IRC global operational policies at a national level.
* Review IRC Mali operational policy manuals, devise a plan for updating them and ensure their consistent enforcement.
* Identify operational policy voids and develop new policies as needed.
* Ensure compliance with donor regulations with regard to the supply chain.
* Develop an annual operations plan with regular follow-up of department leaders.
* Serve as a focal point and maintain communication with HQ operations staff, DRDO, Regional HRD, Regional IT Director and Regional Safety and Security Advisor.
* Coordinate across operations units, across field sites and with programs and finance departments.
* Contribute to the internal coordination meetings and propose relevant adaptations when needed to improve the global level of the mission.
* Anticipate, analyze and alert the CD regarding all risks related to operational activities including programmatic, security and financial aspects
Budget & Finance
* Produce content for new budgets covering operational requirements and provide advice on procurement related budgeting, including a capital equipment replacement plan,
* Maintain close working relations with the Finance Controller to ensure full and coordinated support to operations, including BVA follow up and analysis.
* Oversee grant operations budget lines.
* Optimize funds and resources allocated to the implementation of the programs.
Administration and Human Resources
* Ensure that the recruitment process is efficient, transparent and well managed and that IRC Connect is correctly implemented.
* Ensure that operations staff have annual performance plans and evaluations
* Review national staff salaries and benefits and recommend adjustments when needed
* Serve as focal point person for investigation into policy violations. Follow up on accusations of employee misconduct and advise on potential discipline.
* Work with the HQ Human Resources Department in implementing the global HRIS
* Within the organization and in collaboration with the HR coordinator, identify staff knowledge areas that require strengthening and work with supervisors and staff to provide the appropriate training, with a goal of contributing to staff retention.
* Ensure all necessary support for the functioning of the office, including external relations with the government, is in place.
* Verify that country logistics policies are appropriate, documented, disseminated and required monitoring processes are effective.
* Assist logistics staff in working effectively with other units to improve planning and resource utilization.
* Undertake periodic system reviews of procurement, vehicle & fuel, asset, warehouse/inventory, suppliers and vendor contracts and communication systems to identify areas for improvement and compliance with IRC policy.
* Review key/routine reports, (PO/PR tracking, fuel consumption, procurement plans) and provide feedback with recommendations.
* In collaboration with the IT department in HQ support the V-SAT integration project, maintain and upgrade IT systems to support Internet communication throughout the country program.
* Serve as security focal point for the country program by attending meetings and gathering relevant information.
* Ensure that the Security Management Plan, all security reports (DSR/MSR, etc.) and SOP’s are regularly done, updated.
* Support CD in troubleshooting specific security incidents.
* Provide management support and oversight in implementing security policies and procedures. Ensure staff are trained in basic security procedures considering also humanitarian principles.
* Ensure all office and residential locations are safe and secure.
* Masters Degree in a related field
* At least 5 years experience of operational support or management of multi-sector humanitarian relief or development projects in Africa or similar context; preferably at senior level positions
* Proven personnel management, administration, logistics, communications, security and finance experience of large operations
* NGO experience and knowledge of donor requirements
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong interpersonal skills
* Ability to work under pressure and at times long work hours, and heavy workload.
* Ability to independently organize work and prioritize tasks.
* Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
* Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
* Flexibility, adaptability, culturally sensitivity, sense of humor Fluency or at minimum a high level of French
* Housing in IRC Guest House. Internet, DSTV on-site.
* Security level: Orange, but stable in Bamako.
* Position is accompanied