The Deputy Director, Technical assists the Country Director in providing overall management of the SPS program in Bangladesh. Upon the request of USAID/Bangladesh and the Directorate general of Family Planning of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MOHFW) of Bangladesh, SPS provides technical support in development and implementation of logistics and supply chain management systems required to manage reproductive health commodities. The scope of this work involves strengthening of the quantification and procurement systems, logistics management information systems, warehousing and distribution capacity, as well as supporting the development of public sector capacity in logistics management.
1. Work closely with the SPS Country Director to ensure that all technical areas of the project are integrated making the most effective and efficient use of all program resources.
2. Serve as a member of the Senior Management Team and assist the Country Director in ensuring that program deliverables are met.
3. Provide technical assistance in the execution of key activities as warranted, supporting forecasting and quantification of needs, preparation of procurement plans, and assisting in logistics systems strengthening activities as appropriate.
4. Ensure that workplans and activities include project performance monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems, and that reporting on agreed indicators and targeted-results is completed. Oversee the preparation and presentation of M&E information and results.
5. Represent the SPS program at various technical meetings with other cooperating agencies, collaborating partners, senior government officials and/or donor agencies. Participate in various working groups, as required.
6. Directly supervise technical staff to ensure that defined technical workplans are being implemented in a timely and technically sound manner, and productively leverage collaboration with key government and other stakeholders and partners.
7. Participate in the development of training strategies and plans for national and regional level logistics system implementation activities, in collaboration with relevant team members and partners.
8. Work closely with the SPS Finance and Administration Manager to develop and monitor appropriate/adequate budgets to support technical activities.
9. Report regularly to the Country Director on progress/results achieved in technical workplans, and resolve any challenges faced.
10. Conduct field monitoring visits.
11. Prepare and give technical presentations on key project activities and achievements as needed.
12. Carry out additional responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
1. Advanced degree in logistics, supply chain management, pharmacy, medicine or business management with background in public health or related field.
2. Significant experience in providing technical assistance in procurement management or experience managing a procurement system preferably based on the IBRD/IDA guidelines. Experience in national procurement processes in Bangladesh and experience in procurement of essential health commodities desired
3. Significant experience in international public health with at least three years’ experience related to contraceptive logistics, health commodity logistics, supply chain strengthening, pharmaceutical management, preferably in work funded by USAID.
4. Strong organizational skills and ability to work in a team-oriented, culturally diverse environment.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills, sound judgment, communication skills, training experience, ability to identify and resolve policy and operational constraints.
6. Self-motivated, strong initiative.
7. Experience and ability working with senior government officials.
8. Experience with USAID and other donor agencies desirable.
9. Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills in English.
10. Demonstrated intermediate skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Familiarity with Microsoft Project a plus.
11. English fluency required including speaking, writing, and reading; additional proficiency in Bangla and/or other Bangladeshi language a plus.
12. Ability to travel for extended periods of time in-country to support technical activities.
13. Willingness and ability to travel internationally, including to the US as needed.
International Allowances are available for this position