FHI 360 seeks a qualified candidate for the position of a Deputy Director, Technical for an upcoming USAID-funded global project. The project seeks to build upon and expand USAID’s efforts to leverage the roles of communities to strengthen and adapt existing community health platforms to support national policies and implementation plans for COVID-19 preparedness and response (non-pharmaceutical interventions) and continuity of existing primary healthcare services based on national guidelines and needs/priorities to create lasting structures for future response.
The Deputy Director, Technical will work hand in hand with the Project Director to provide technical oversight to program implementation. S/he will be responsible for leading a broad spectrum of COVID-19 related activities, including programmatic planning and design, technical thought leadership, and the communication and facilitation of global knowledge sharing on all aspects of COVID-19 service delivery programs. Areas of focus may include risk communication and community engagement, surveillance, rapid response teams, case investigation, case management, infection prevention and control (IPC) ensuring continuity of services (MCH, HIV, TB, etc.), and preparing for, mitigating and addressing second order impacts of COVID19, and transition to “new normal” period. S/he will identify innovative ways to engage existing community health platforms to support national policies and implementation plans for COVID-19 preparedness and response.
Availability of position is contingent upon funding and approval of key personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides technical leadership in COVID-19 prevention, care, and treatment by ensuring innovative, evidence-informed programming and integration of relevant sectors and interventions appropriate to each country context
- Leads the design, implementation and monitoring of COVID-19 prevention, care and treatment strategies and interventions
- Provides technical oversight to program teams and partners to ensure effectiveness of interventions, achievement of technical goals and adherence to technical standards and guidelines
- Manages a team of technical experts and partners to ensure completion of technical activities on schedule and within budget
- Ensures quality of all COVID-19 prevention, care and treatment activities
- Leads the capacity building of partners in COVID-19 prevention, care and treatment activities
- Develops and nurtures partnerships with civil society, the private sector, and other key partners by regularly meeting and consulting with all relevant agencies to share information and to stimulate joint design and implementation of COVID-19 interventions
- Coordinates and works with donors and relevant stakeholders on COVID-19 prevention, care and treatment technical issues
- Provides technical leadership by staying current on state-of-the-art COVID-19 programming and maintains links with other international bodies which specialize in COVID-19 preparedness and response
- Ensures learning and knowledge exchange across country programs
- Represents FHI 360 and the project in professional and public settings and makes presentations at professional meetings and conferences
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, research or related field strongly preferred with specialized experiences in strengthening community health systems.
- 8+ years of experience in designing and implementing community health systems strengthening programs
- 3+ years of experience in any of the following areas preferred: risk communication and community engagement, community based surveillance, rapid response teams, community case investigation, community case management, infection prevention and control (IPC), ensuring continuity of services (MCH, HIV, TB, etc.) during crisis/instability/disease outbreaks, and preparing for, mitigating and addressing second order impacts of stressed health services on community health systems
- Demonstrated experience in multi-sector project management and implementation
- Senior management experience, including working with NGOs
- Understanding of USAID-funded policies and programs
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and adaptability skills
- Robust familiarity with the current scientific literature and evidence-informed community health programming
- Ability to manage teams, projects, consultants, and plan for the successful and timely implementation of programs
- Ability to work well with other units and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance
- Excellent analytical, numerical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent leadership qualities with the ability to lead multidisciplinary teams situated globally
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects that are strategic in nature and national/international in scope
- Excellent management, communication, and organization skills are required
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, technology, communication and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
As we evolve to meet the challenges of the future, we stand committed to the principles that have guided our organization for the last 40+ years. Our work continues to be grounded in research and science, strengthened by partnerships and focused on building the capacity of individuals, communities and countries to succeed.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will never ask you for your career site username or password, and we will never request money, goods or services during the application, recruitment or employment process. If you have questions or concerns about correspondence from us, please email CareerCenterSupport@fhi360.org.