The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF) is seeking a Deputy Executive Director to oversee the program operations of the Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) in Mbeya, Tanzania. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MHRP.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the incumbent will directly support Senior Management to ensure that all the responsibilities of the program are met in accordance with local, program, contractual, and international requirements. The position ensures compliance, internal controls, transparency, and operational delivery and accuracy.
- Act as Executive Director when s/he is absent.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, develop strong partnerships with the Government of Tanzania, civil society NGO partners, and other key stakeholders to successfully execute all administrative, operational, and programmatic strategies and activities.
- Oversee program operations in consultation with the relevant persons and in accordance with donor requirements, ensure objectives are met within the required time frames and budgets. Where necessary, ensure preventive and corrective actions are implemented on time and on a regular basis.
- Ensure timely and effective implementation of activities, review of indicator data for monitoring, and evaluation of program and accurate reporting of this information to both the in-country WRAIR team and MHRP headquarters.
- Facilitate crosscutting communications with both civilian and military teams implementing and supporting program activities.
- Support Heads of Department in all aspects of finance/accounting, administrative, human resources and logistics management, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to operational systems, donor requirements, country program strategy, and all applicable US and GoT laws/regulations.
- Prepare and supervise the implementation/enforcement of policies, procedures, and guidelines, as appropriate and with the relevant Program and Home Office staff, to enhance the smooth running of the programs through standardized procedures and improved controls.
- Working closely with the Senior Management, develop and manage a comprehensive activity plan for the program, including resource needs analyses, covering the time frames of the project proposals.
- Represent HJFMRI-Tanzania at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, WRAIR/DAR, and HO.
- Supervise the project budget management and expenditure process in collaboration with budget holders and HO staff, ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations.
- Monitor targets and budgets for program areas for reporting to the Executive Director on a regular basis, highlighting areas for intervention in a timely manner.
- Ensure national policies, guidelines, training manuals, recording and reporting tools and information that relate to the program are updated, maintained, shared, and accessible.
- Manage designated staff, including direct supervision and professional development.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest, and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team to successfully implement program operations.
- Coordinate the development of work plans that incorporate vision/goals, objectives, activities, timeframes, responsibilities (of team member) and monitoring indications.
- Identify training needs and foster a productive team environment.
- Oversee the preparation of funding documents and related written reports for submission to MHRP and WRAIR as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Directly supervise and provide leadership to the Controller and team to meet deliverables during various financial cycles including Monthly Close, Quarterly Reviews, Forecast Cyclers and other Ad hoc requests.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and the Controller, work closely with MHRP to ensure financial impact of various business decisions are understood, aligned, and communicated.
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Ensure the Finance team receives the technical guidance and assistance in the areas of accounting, budgeting, and financial planning.
- Ensure programmatic and operational compliance with grant rules and regulations, HJF policies, as well as US and Tanzanian Laws.
- Directly supervise the Operations Director and oversee the administration and management of Procurement, HR, Finance/Accounting, Contracts & Partnership Management, IT, and Administration functions.
- Under the supervision of the Executive Director, develop strategies to problem-solve programmatic and operational challenges to successfully achieve set targets.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, and streamline work processes and work cooperatively to provide the highest quality customer service.
- Provide collaborative assistance to other program personnel and research scientists that require the incumbent’s expertise.
- Maintain a safe work environment with appropriate training of other personnel.
- Support a productive team environment.
- Complete other tasks as assigned.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: 6-8 years or relevant work experience.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
About the Organization
HJF administers innovative medical research, supports education and training, and facilitates collaborations between the military and private medical communities. We provide comprehensive management and scientific services for more than 1,000 basic, clinical and applied research projects conducted around the globe. We also support continuing medical education programs for more than 160 military medical research and treatment facilities, and military medical organizations.