India plans to deploy unprecedented levels of renewable energy (RE) on its power grid. This can greatly reduce the economy’s carbon intensity and strengthen energy security. Compared to conventional power, however, India’s key RE options are more variable, less predictable and often further from demand centers. Experience in other systems has shown that when penetration of RE reaches significant levels, the capacity of the power grid to manage it has to be addressed to avoid challenges to the reliability and affordability of electricity.
The US Agency for International Development (USAID) Renewable Integration and Sustainable Energy (RISE) Initiative is a 4-year program initiated in January,2017 that will support the efforts of India’s central and state governments, and the private sector, to drive large-scale integration of RE into the grid by validating the key building blocks of grid flexibility and inter-state power trade, and creating the enabling conditions to scale them up.
The Deputy Financial Specialist will support the Finance Specialist in managing, coordinating, and organizing project office accounting and financial reporting. Specific tasks include managing vendor payments, tracking bank balances, and assisting the Financial Specialist in preparing, coding, reconciling, and balancing monthly expense reports. Similarly, the candidate will also help manage day to day field based financial operations in alignment with Deloitte and USAID rules and regulations.
The position reports directly to the Finance Specialist and USAID RISE Chief of Party.
Financial Accounting and Administration
- Manage and monitor all local financial transactions in adherence with standard established field financial management processes and procedures, and chart of accounts
- Maintain local field procurement compliance with USAID rules and regulations
- Track local operating budgets, recurring costs, accruals and pipeline, while ensuring that project is compliant with all national and project tax regulations
- Conduct periodic cost analysis (budget vs. actual, recommendations on cost-savings etc.)
- File and track project purchase requests and supporting documentation
- Facilitate request for payments and disbursements under the project
- Perform monthly reconciliation of local bank accounts, monitor cash flow, foreign exchange and request adjustments as appropriate
- Review subcontractor and vendor invoices and expenditure backup documentation
- Archive all financial records and backup documentation daily/monthly on the server and ensure they are readily available for audits; lead response for international expenditure audits
- Maintain established internal controls and instill discipline in other project teammates
- Assist with developing job aids, training materials or other reference documents to ensure expense compliance on the project
HR and Payroll Administration
- Prepare monthly payroll in accordance with local labor laws and project policies
- Advise on and appropriately log tax withholdings and remittances to local authorities
- Assist the project leadership team with establishing project salary scale and conducting market research if and when appropriate
- Assist the project leadership team with procuring good vendors for staff benefits
- Assist the project leadership team with preparing rate approval documentation
- Assist the project leadership team in the sourcing and hiring of local resources (including due diligence, verification of employment and salary history, etc.)
- Ensure that payroll is properly handled and supported by properly filled timesheets, contracts, vacation balance, etc.
- The candidate must be fluent in written and spoken Hindi and English
- A university degree in a relevant discipline such as Finance, Accounting or Business Management is required
- Possess and be able to demonstrate a minimum of 3 years of similar experience in a role supporting financial management, preferably in development/donor funded work; Deloitte has a strong preference for previous experience on USAID-funded programs
- The candidate must possess strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices, financial reporting standards; proficiency with USAID procurement rules and regulations are a plus
- Sound computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office® applications, particularly Excel and Word; Experience with MS Access or Project a plus.
- IT knowledge and proficiency a plus; experience with Quickbooks or other standard Accounting packages also a plus
- Self-starter, willing to take initiative, remain accountable, take ownership of work product and escalate issues as appropriate
- Demonstrated track record in ethics, integrity and maintain confidentiality with sensitive data and information, and able to work in a multicultural environment
- Team player, willing to take direction from project management and work with others
- Dedicated to professional development, improvement and open to receiving constructive feedback
ASSIGNMENT AND WORK LOCATION
The program is a four year activity lasting through December 2020; this assignment will be full-time and is intended to be filled in February 2018. The primary work location will be at the RISE office in Connaught Place, New Delhi.
SUBMISSION OF QUALIFICATIONS
Interested candidates should submit their full CV, and contact information via e-mail to the RISE project office to the attention of: Ms. Kakali Guha (KGuha@gtg-india.com), Operations Specialist. Submissions are requested by April 6, 2018. Note that only those applicants who specifically meet the position qualifications should apply. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
About the Organization
Deloitte brings innovative solutions and trusted approaches to help the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) execute its mission and achieve transformative development impact. For more than 25 years, Deloitte has delivered over $2 billion in USAID projects in 100+ countries bringing industry-leading solutions to international development programs, initiatives, and mission-oriented strategies. Our International Donor Organization sector enhances our ability to support development initiatives by leveraging our global firm’s capabilities and bringing innovative methods, tools, and accelerators to continuously develop, test, and iterate new ways of solving development problems.