The Deputy Logistics Manager is responsible for supporting an effective supply chain, oversees transport and fleet management and ensures that standard logistics and related administrative systems are established and implemented within Medair country programmes. The Deputy Logistics Manager also plays an important role in team leadership and capacity building of logistics staff.
Medair South Sudan is a multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Water and Sanitation and NFI & Emergency Shelter distributions across fixed and emergency response locations throughout South Sudan.
Field based position in South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
August 2018. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Logistics Management General
- Assist in providing technical support to ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place and maintained according to Medair standards. May include sourcing and procurement, warehousing, transportation and management of logistics resources in fleet and equipment. Provide logistical support to all field bases by regular communication.
- Support the Country Logistics Manager on the appropriate management of existing field bases, establishment of new ones and closing of existing ones if required. Liaise as necessary with the landlords to ensure proper maintenance and optimum availability of facilities and utilities (e.g. electricity, water, phone-lines, physical security and building repairs).
- Maintain accurate filing systems, with documented and supported records of logistics transactions for audit purposes, and submit logistics reports to the in-country management team, and HQ logistics pursuant with Medair policies and procedures.
- Proactively engage with suppliers, partners, local authorities, other NGOs, clusters and any other stakeholders, in order to plan and schedule distribution of goods and material as well as to ensure good coordination and adequate information sharing, address common concerns and seek solutions.
- Manage fleet staff with integrity and foresight, and in accordance with HR procedures and policies to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, performance review, producing development plans, determination of training needs, establishing and monitoring work plans, etc.
- Ensure that all fleet logistics and relevant programme staff are adequately trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or a related field.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Minimum one year logistics and management experience in emergency or development context.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferably in the logistics sector.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, coordination, assessment, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Technical understanding of mechanical and communication equipment.
- Demonstrable knowledge of rules, regulations and donor policies governing the regulatory management of procurement rules from US, EU, UN and other agencies.
- Diplomatic, especially for working with authorities and suppliers.
- Strong organisational abilities, excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong leadership and project management skills. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Capacity to work under pressure and to tight deadlines. Able to cope with basic living conditions.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.