Chemonics seeks a Deputy Project Director for its five-year, $40 million USAID Reforestation Project in the northern region of Haiti. This project addresses environmental degradation and loss of tree cover in Haiti, resilience to economic and natural shocks, and increasing the involvement of the private sector, particularly micro, small, and medium enterprises, in addressing these issues. The project supports interventions toward reducing the threat of deforestation, improving resilience to economic and natural shocks, increasing tree cover in targeted areas, and improving environmental governance and coordination.
The Deputy Project Director and Project Director will oversee all elements of the project. The Deputy Project Director will primarily oversee technical implementation, maintain communication, collaboration, and momentum among teams; and oversee activity operations, including grants management, progress reporting, MEL, communications, cost-share, regional offices, and administrative matters. The Deputy Project Director will report to the Project Director. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Overall management of administrative and technical project staff to ensure timely achievement of project objectives according to the work plan and the performance management plan
- Develop and implement key operational systems; integrated strategic, technical, and communication “whole-of-project” resilience approaches that will support project planning, reporting, and performance management; integrated and internally collaborative technical implementation; technical innovations; evidence-based applied research and learning activities; increased expert support from the project’s international subcontractors based in Haiti; and improved project financial and personnel management
- Provide technical guidance to Project team, and supervise their work, especially in terms of climate change adaptation technics and practices to ensure beneficiaries’ resilience to economic and naturals shocks and long-term stresses
- Support the project director, regional office directors, and component leads to facilitate relationships with USAID, government partners, international and regional organizations, departmental directors, local authorities, and beneficiaries
- Manage project monitoring, evaluation, environment, learning, and communications activities that provide evidence-based learning to be shared with the global development and scientific communities
- Manage, write, and contribute to producing activity deliverables, project reports, and research/learning documents and materials
- Serve as acting project director as needed
- Ensure the project functions according to Chemonics systems and practices and the cooperative agreement scope of work and terms
- Ensure that all systems are maintained according to Chemonics’ best practices, USAID rules and regulations, and Haitian law
- Coordinate with the home office on project operations and administrative issues
- Minimum of ten years of relevant professional experience, with progressively increasing responsibilities and duties, in fields related to the results and objectives of the USAID Reforestation project
- An advanced degree in forestry, agro-forestry, natural resources management, watershed management, agriculture, or related field
- Proven experience managing projects or aspects of a project of similar size and breadth
- Experience with USAID project implementation (preferred)
- Experience working with Chemonics (preferred)
- Project management experience in Haiti, especially in the northern regions (preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with wide variety of stakeholders, including national and local government, donors, community-based organizations, think tanks and universities, and the private sector
- Demonstrated understanding of the Haitian agricultural context
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Spoken and written fluency in English and French required; spoken Haitian Kreyòl a plus
Please email your CV and cover letter to URPDeputyProjectDirector@chemonics.com with “Haiti Reforestation: Deputy Project Director” in the subject line by August 9, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. For more information, please read the EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice here: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.