For an upcoming DFID-funded programme in Malawi on Transparency and Accountability, we are looking for a Deputy Team leader.
About the programme:
The programme seeks to address accountability challenges that are hindering economic growth and undermining service delivery.
It will consist of two key elements:
1. Drive change through Issue-based Projects, bringing together change-minded stakeholders (in Government, civil society, others) around specific issues/problems, with the aim to deliver “material’ improvements. Issues are to be selected - based on Political Economy Analysis - in the Inception Phase, but examples could include: improving peri-urban water supply; addressing blockages in the maize and other agricultural markets; reducing deforestation; improving drug or textbook procurement; and issues impacting on growth such as trade barriers and the tax system. Actual programme interventions to drive change could include: technical assistance, small grants (to organisations to deliver specific project outputs), facilitation and media and advocacy work.
2. Increase oversight of public funds at local level, using proven social accountability tools that bring together both citizens’ groups and local government/ elected officials. During the first months of the programme, this aspect will focus on budget tracking in at least 15 districts. As the issues-based projects are rolled out, social accountability tools will be increasingly focused on the localities and sectors where the issues-based projects have started to show results.
In addition, the programme will include a draw-down fund for carrying out political economy analysis in support of other DFID-funded programmes in Malawi.
The estimated start of the programme is early 2019.
As Deputy Team Leader you will:
* Support the Team Leader in the daily management of the programme;
* Develop and maintain relationships with a broad range of stakeholders, such as Government, Civil Society Organisations, businesses and others;
* Help to develop informed proposals for issue-based projects;
* Assist the Team Leader in coordinating and overseeing projects to deliver programme outcomes;
* Report on progress based on M&E results and local intelligence.
To be successful in this role you:
* Have a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline;
* Have at least 5 years of relevant experience in Malawi, having worked in a variety of sectors and with a variety of stakeholders;
* Have worked in donor funded programmes (preferably DFID);
* Have strong managerial skills and programme management experience;
* Have strong reporting skills;
* Are fluent in English and Chichewa.
We offer a freelance contract for this role. The programme will last 5 years and requires full-time input in Lilongwe, Malawi. In country travel will be required as well.
About the Organization
The International Development Services Division (IDS) of Mott MacDonald consists of the activities of Euroconsult Mott MacDonald, BMB Mott MacDonald and various international development activities of Mott MacDonald Limited. IDS recruits for a wide range of project assignments in the area of International Development. We are involved in more than 90 projects in over 40 countries in Central and Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.