The Government of Papua New Guinea (PNG) has identified law and order, combating corruption and reducing violence against women as national development priorities. PNG’s strategic frameworks prioritise reducing crime and social unrest to achieve the vision of a ‘just, safe and secure society for all’ as the foundation for improving economic and social development.
To meet this goal, the Australian government provides support to strengthen national agencies across the law and justice sector in PNG.
The two key objectives underpinning this support are:
- Safer and more secure communities where people have greater access to better aligned effective legal services and community justice mechanisms; and
- More accountable, legitimate and responsive law and justice agencies contributing to a culture of legal compliance and enforcement.
The Justice Services and Stability for Development Program (JSS4D) supports the PNG Government through targeted assistance to PNG’s law and justice agencies, provincial governments, the Autonomous Region of Bougainville (ARoB) and civil society groups focused around four inter-related outcomes for the sector:
Outcome 1: Community Safety and Security
Outcome 2: Addressing Family and Sexual Violence
Outcome 3: Effective Law and Justice Services
Outcome 4: Anti-Corruption
In Bougainville, the program broadly aligns with these outcome areas but with an increased focus on policing.
Please copy paste this link to access the Terms of Reference detailing responsibilities and selection criteria: http://bit.ly/JSS4DDTL
Based in Buka, Bougainville, the Deputy Team Leader will be responsible for leading the JSS4D program in Bougainville, managing all technical elements of the program, supporting a program team, and working closely with the law and justice sector in Bougainville.
The Deputy Team Leader will have a range of responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Providing strategic leadership, direction, coordination and performance management of program personnel
- Operating as the primary point of contact between the program and ARoB Government representatives
- Ensuring that the program and all activities deliver services according to budget and activity plans
- Overseeing all program administration including procurement, sub-contractor engagement, grant administration and logistics
- Collaborating with program personnel to implement the JSS4D Monitoring, Evaluation and Research plan for Bougainville
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in management roles within development programs is required. Previous experience in PNG and/or Bougainville is highly desired.
- Tertiary qualifications relevant to the technical content of this position are required.
- You are an experienced program leader with significant practical knowledge and expertise in the design and delivery of law and justice activities.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity development with peers, senior counterparts and partner agencies
- High-level interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication, and an excellent ability to develop and maintain results-focused stakeholder relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others and contribute to sustainable outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to work sensitively in a complex cross cultural operating environment
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and change management processes and in mentoring counterparts and senior managers through organisational change.
How to apply?
We welcome your interest in joining the Cardno team. Please click ‘apply’ and submit:
- Your CV including the contact details of at least two professional referees
- A covering letter responding directly to the essential skills and experience as outlined in the Selection Criteria
Applications for this position close at 11:59pm, Wednesday 9 October 2019 (PNG time). Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered by the selection panel.
For any questions about this role, please contact email@example.com quoting “Deputy Team Leader - Autonomous Region of Bougainville (ARoB)” in the email subject line.
Cardno is an equal opportunity employer.
Cardno is committed to Child Protection and safeguarding the welfare of children in the delivery of our International Development programs. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Any offer of employment will require criminal record clearance.
Amendments to the position’s Terms of Reference may be made during the period of the engagement as required.
About the Organization
Cardno is a global provider of integrated professional services which enrich the physical and social environment for the communities in which we live and work. Our team of multidisciplinary specialists has more than 70 years’ experience in designing, developing and delivering sustainable projects and community advancement programs.
Cardno ID (International Development) manages a number of donor-funded programs in the Asia Pacific region. We engage in international development as a holistic, multidisciplinary and integrated process. Strengthened by our geographic and market diversity, we are committed to providing innovative and integrated solutions that create opportunities for significant, lasting change in emerging economies. Partnering with multilateral and bilateral donors, private clients, governments and communities to develop sustainable solutions to complex challenges, we work with local counterparts to achieve meaningful impact.