Start date: Immediate
End date: March 2023
Status: Full time
Based in: Mexico City
Prosperity Fund Mexico - Financial Services Strand
Funded by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the objective of the Strand is to create a more inclusive and competitive financial services sector, accessible to all segments of Mexican society and new market entrants. The Strand will increase the depth, coverage and efficiency of financial services in order to support a reduction in poverty, increase productivity and promote long-term social and economic development. The Strand aims to do this by matching the identified market failures with specific UK capabilities to build capacity and share best practice within the public and private sectors.
DAI seeks a dynamic Deputy Team Leader with a passion and drive to oversee the day-to-day implementation of DAI’s Financial Services Strand programme in Mexico.
The post holder will work closely with the Team Leader, and other team members, providing leadership and overseeing the effective and efficient management of the programme’s financial, human and administrative resources. The Deputy Team Leader will also manage the programme’s Agile Programming Fund and the technical assistance Resource Pool, ensuring both deliver value for money, and respond quickly to programme opportunities and requests.
Specific Responsibilities Include Inter Alia
- Responsible for putting in place (and monitoring) robust financial/accounting, procurement and administrative systems and procedures, which comply with, and are aligned with, DAI and the client’s rules, regulations and high standards
- Work closely with the Team Leader to ensure the effective management of the programme (including but not limited to: tracking, reviewing and updating key programme documentation such as work plans, budgets, manuals, staff contracts, and supervisory responsibility)
- Supports TL in ensuring quality of programme outputs are fully aligned with DAI and client requirements
- Work closely with the Team Leader and the Financial and Operations Support Unit to ensure effective financial management of the programme and that resources are allocated effectively and productively, in line with the agreed annual budget, logframe and value for money framework
- With support from Financial and Operations Support Unit Lead, ensure all programme finances (including expenditure, systems) are regularly monitored and audited (identifying trends, opportunities, risks et all)
- Provide operational advice and guidance to the Team Leader on an on-going basis
- Contribute to programme planning and strategy, including the development of annual workplans and budgets, and help guide and oversee the alignment of the budget to expected results
- In close collaboration with the Team Leader and the UK based Project Accountant, ensure good information flow and communication pertaining to programme expenditure, assets, resources, and financial systems and controls are followed according to DAI’s Procurement and Contract Manuals
- Produce regular reports (financial and narrative) for the Team Leader (in English and Spanish) and other DAI staff in the UK
- Responsible for financial reporting and forecasting in line with FCO requirements
- Responsible for tracking budget expenditure and reporting overspend and underspend to DAI
- Be available for auditing requests from the UK office on a timely matter
- Responsible for ensuring that all staff are trained and comply with internal financial and administrative systems, protocols and standards
- Coordinate effectively with key programme partners ensuring all programmatic grants/expenditure is processed on time and in accordance with DAI systems and protocols
- If required, support the Financial and Operations Support Lead provide training and mentoring to partners to strengthen their capacity of DAI’s financial and administrative systems and procedures
- With the Financial and Operations Support Lead, build effective relationships with programme’s main service providers and relevant government officials/agencies in Mexico
- Performance manage and provide regular support and mentoring to the Finance and Operations Manager, ensuring accountability and adherence to KPIs and programme deliverables
- With the support of the Team Leader, lead on the development, implementation and monitoring of the Agile Programming Fund (APF). This will involve inter alia:
- Sourcing and screening proposals
- Designing APF assignments
- Sourcing of consultants for APF assignments
- Delivering APF assignments
- Manage the operational aspects of the programme’s short-term technical assistance Resource Pool, ensuring all the necessary logistical and administrative systems and support are in place for the consultants to be hired effectively, on budget and on time
- Ensure the Resource Pool contains the right mix of Mexican and international expertise to deliver on the Strand’s objectives, and that it supports a gender balanced team and diversity principles
- Ensures compliance with DAI policies and FCO rules and regulations, in line with the programme’s budget, logframe and value for money framework
- Collaborate with the Deputy Team Leader for the Energy Strand sharing information, avoiding possible duplication of roles, systems and providers, and when possible identifying economies of scale and synergies
- Serve as Acting Team Leader in the Team Leader’s absence
- Create a productive and supportive working environment, providing astute and capable leadership at all times
- Coordinates and schedules weekly, monthly and quarterly meetings with FCO and supports TL in creating agenda for meetings
- With the other team members, nurture and maintain team spirit and a collegial working environment that reflects DAI’s core principals of integrity, responsibility, excellence and global citizenship
- Work to ensure that the programme team complies with DAI ethics, safeguarding and security policies and procedures
Reporting and support
The Deputy Team Leader will be supported, and line managed by the Team Leader.
Please note that all profiles are indicative only and therefore subject to change.
- Financial Services
- Consulting Firms
- International Relations
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant professional experience on management positions
- Bachelor´s degree and/or MBA in economics
- Solid skills on finance management (budgets, forecasts). Good understanding of accounting, Mexico tax and labor environment is desirable.
- Knowledge or experience on procurement and administrative systems and procedures for donor-funded or government projects is a plus.
- Experience providing financial, operations, administrative and management support
- Experience in work planning and budget preparation, control and monitoring.
- Experience in financial management for projects
- Excellent organization, communication, proactive and able to work under pressure meeting tight deadlines.
- A team player with a positive “can do” attitude that reflects DAI’s core principals of integrity, responsibility, excellence and global citizenship
- Able to take decisions to ensure resourcing allocation its manage according with DAI manuals and procedures in line with the agreed annual budget
- Able to be flexible, versatile and tolerant in a changing work environment, whilst maintaining effectiveness
- Numerate with a high level of attention to detail
- Excellent communications and writing skills, able to interact with multidisciplinary teams and stakeholders from different sectors
- Advanced level of MS Office
- Fluency in English and Spanish (written and spoken)
- Availability to take on this assignment in a short notice
- Based or with solid experience working in Mexico
- High standards of ethics
Reporting and support
The DTL will be supported, and line managed by the Team Leader of the Financial Services Programme.
Last date to submit applications is July 15, 2020.
About the Organization
DAI is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries. Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.