TITLE: Desk Officer, Peru
DEPARTMENT: Emergency Programs
LOCATION: Stamford, CT
REPORTS TO: Director, Emergency Response
DURATION: 6 months with possibility of extension
STARTING DATE: July 1, 2020
Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that responds to people affected by poverty or disaster with life-changing health programs, medicine and medical supplies. Each year, Americares reaches more than 90 countries and all 50 U.S. states with over $600 million in innovative health programs and quality medical aid.
Our programs help communities prepare for, respond to and recover from disasters; increase access to critical medicine and medical supplies; improve and expand clinical services; and prevent disease and promote good health in vulnerable communities.
Americares Emergency Programs leverage our logistics capabilities, health and medical expertise, global partner network and supply of donated medicine to respond to emergencies, help communities recover from disasters, reduce disaster risk and improve health outcomes. Americares responds to an average of 30 natural disasters and humanitarian crises worldwide each year. Our Emergency Programs interventions include but are not limited to: medications and medical supplies, mobile medical units, rehabilitations and restoration of health facilities, mental health and psychosocial support services.
Peruvian health authorities identified the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in the country on March 6, 2020. The government subsequently established a COVID-19 Task Force and initiated a nationwide shelter-in-place order. Despite these measures, the situation continues to worsen. As of May 27, Peru has 135,905 confirmed cases of COVID-19, which is behind only Brazil for most in Latin America. In addition, Peru has 3,983 COVID-19 related fatalities. Unfortunately, current trends indicate that the COVID-19 curve remains on an upward trajectory, with more than 6,000 new cases reported between May 26 and May 27 and an average of 4,555 new cases reported each day over the last seven days, up from a daily average of 3,055 at the beginning of the month. At present, the COVID-19 outbreak in Peru has been concentrated in the greater Lima area, with over 84,994 confirmed cases. This relatively small geographic area is home to one third of Peru’s total population. Other regions with significant numbers of confirmed cases include Lambayeque (6,732); Loreto (3,816); and Piura (6,039). insufficient. For example, more than half of the provinces in the country – many of which are far from Lima – have fewer than ten doctors per 10,000 inhabitants.
This intervention will bring critical support to the Peruvian health sector during the current COVID-19 outbreak by contracting personnel to manage COVID-19 related activities at public health facilities; conducting remote consultations and targeted home visits; and deploying mobile medical clinics to provide primary care and referral services. Americares will coordinate closely with the Ministry of Health (MINSA) and other relevant stakeholders for the duration of the program.
Americares is seeking a Desk Officer, Peru based in the U.S. to support our response to the COVID-19 response in Peru. The Desk Officer, Peru will report to the Director, Emergency Response and work with key Peru staff when required. In this role, he/she will provide operational support to the team on the ground and contribute to health program planning and development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as the focal point between U.S. headquarters and the Peru office, coordinating between departments in HQ to ensure adequate support and efficient operations in Peru
- Work with the Country Director, Peru and Director, Emergency Response to advise on program deliverables and priorities and ensure programming is consistent with national and regional response strategies
- Support the identification of pursuit of additional funding opportunities by conducting research, drafting content for concept notes and proposals and working with HQ departments to secure relevant supporting documents
- Support complete and accurate program data collection, reporting and management
- Support budget development, management and expense reporting
- Perform administrative duties such as processing invoices, assisting with international travel arrangements to Peru, generating and disseminating agendas and meeting notes, develop bi-weekly Situation Reports for HQ and updating HQ Peru Emergency response files.
- Work with finance and logistics teams to track program costs and supply stocks, calculate program cost and supply forecasts/pipeline analyses and ensure international shipping schedules align with programmatic timelines
- Ensure international shipments meet all Peruvian requirements by working with the logistics team and external vendors, gather relevant shipping documentation and present weekly reports on the status of shipments
- Support, as necessary, recruitment efforts, working closely with HR and Country Director
- Work with the field team to provide activity reports to HQ
- Other duties as assigned by Director, Emergency Response
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, international development, international relations, or equivalent.
- 3- 5 years of experience in humanitarian programming and health program support, preferably at an NGO.
- Experience in information gathering, management, and sharing.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills, comfortable multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced environment.
- Program implementation experience highly desirable.
- High Proficiency in English and Spanish absolutely required
- Practical knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Ability to travel
- Able to operate independently and as part of the HQ team