Job DescriptionDigital Finance/Mobile Money Advisor
is responsible for supporting activities to leverage mobile money and innovative payment schemes to scale up off-grid solutions in Sub-Saharan African (SSA) countries. This is a full-time role based in Nairobi, Dakar, Pretoria or Abidjan. This position reports to BTG Cross Cutting Team Leader.
- Lead all activities relating to digital finance and mobile money, including conducting assessments, identification of highest impact opportunities, contributing to annual work plans, implementing approved activities, and reporting on progress
- Assist off-grid companies to identify and realize opportunities to incorporate and/or scale-up the use of innovative payment schemes, such as PAYGO and digital finance mobile money technology, in off-grid electrification business models
- Identify and promote partnerships with mobile network operators, mobile money operators and digital finance providers to increase the accessibility of off-grid electrification products and services for a wider range of potential customers
- Advise BTG country advisors on issues relating to digital finance, mobile money and innovative payment schemes
- Review and provide feedback on proposed regulations for digital finance and mobile money in SSA countries
- Master’s degree in a relevant field and 6 years’ relevant experience including substantive field experience in Africa or Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of experience
- Prior experience with mobile money and digital finance in SSA required
- Prior experience with off-grid electrification and pay-as-you-go (PAYG) business models preferred
- Effective communication skills and coordinating between various stakeholders, including government departments and private sector organizations, including mobile operators, Financial Institutions (FIs) and ideally, off-grid energy companies.
- Possess excellent organizational and analytical skills;
- Strong verbal and written English and French communications skills.
About the OrganizationIDG Learning, Energy & Environment for Development