The Telehealth team is responsible for technology support of Orbis programs, which includes the telemedicine and online learning platform, Cybersight.
The team focuses on integrating Cybersight with Orbis programs across the world and works together to expand Orbis’s clinical, educational and technology initiatives while developing long-term relationships with physicians, telehealth-partnering hospitals, educators, and IT & communications specialists. The team also closely monitors trends and new innovations in the healthcare technology and public health space that should be nurtured in order to revolutionize practice in the low-resource settings we serve.
The Digital Learning Specialist is a new role within Orbis that supports our goal of ending avoidable blindness around the world by building the capacity of health care professionals to detect, diagnose and treat blinding eye conditions.
As an essential member of the Telehealth team within the global program department, the Digital Learning Specialist is responsible for leading the technical construction, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of online course content delivered through the Cybersight platform.
This position supports an existing Learning Management System with more than 25,000 users and a collection of 20+ custom courses aimed at eye health professionals in low- and middle-income countries.
This position also acts as a thought leader within Orbis on emerging design, development and implementation strategies and tactics for distance medical education.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The Digital Learning Specialist reports to the Global Program Specialist. This position works closely with the Telehealth team, the Clinical Services team, Orbis colleagues around the world and directly engages with learners who use our services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
· Lead the construction of new online courses, working with a cross-disciplinary team of program staff, trainers, medical experts, medical illustrators and video editors
· Manage the upkeep, review and refresh of existing online courses and related content
· Establish standards (platforms, technologies) that help Orbis be a global leader in the delivery of distance medical education in the communities we serve
· Support the development and delivery of hybrid in-person and online training programs
· Develop and implement innovative ways of evaluating knowledge transfer to learners
· Facilitate live and recorded training (e.g. lectures)
· Create and implement training for Orbis staff on how to use the LMS (building curricula, running reports, viewing learner transcripts)
· Implement reporting mechanisms that help Orbis evaluate the uptake, output and outcomes of its distance education programs
· Collaborate on surveying the needs from learners and sharing this feedback to be actioned as appropriate
· Analyze course enrollments and completion rates and implement strategies to increase both and monitor for learners progress and utilization
· Act as Tier 2 support for learners needing support to access or complete courses
· Be responsible for our LMS platform and vendor relationship, maintaining awareness of the marketplace and new/emerging platforms
· Creation and support of various tools to assist the HR team with LMS development
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in training, communications, adult education or instructional design
· 5-7 years’ experience working in medical education (experience in ophthalmology would be ideal)
· Experience with a Learning Management System as a developer or administrator
· Experience with HTML, image, audio and video editing and course-development software
SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Genuine interest in public health and “technology for good”
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written); the ability to interact and collaborate effectively with people of diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
· Strong organizational & planning skills with keen attention to detail: ability to handle multiple tasks and details efficiently while meeting deadlines.
· Fluency in other languages is desirable
· Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and exercise independent judgement regarding operational decisions, processes or systems.
· Ability to travel occasionally, including travel to and within developing countries.