1. General Background
In September 2014, the Economy Division Deputy Director and the Head of the Climate and Clean Air Coalition (CCAC) requested the ICT unit to support and facilitate the creation and maintenance of digital projects for the Coalition and, where possible the Division. It took over a year to set up the minimal components of such service: #1) an external WEB Agency for the development, maintenance and hosting; and #2) an internal expert for the coordination of the service.
The current setup has been very successful with, for the past 2.5 years of operations, over 17 projects for USD 1.2 million. Today, it is necessary to maintain these projects daily and in partnership with programme staff and consultants. Therefore, the CCAC is seekingan a digital projects coordinator / knowledge manager to manage the entire digital portfolio (individual budgets per project range from 10k-150k) and where necessary, perform tasks to increase the number of projects as well as expanding the range of services provided.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
a. Objectives, output expectations and performance indicators:
Provision of coordination and advisory services to support the digital services of the Climate and Clean Air Coalitions and, where possible other projects belonging to the Economy Division.
b. Specific activities and responsibilities
a. Coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan.
b. Planning, scheduling, and managing projects to meet deadlines and quality standards.
c. Identifying project risks and taking action to mitigate.
d. Estimating the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals.
e. Assessing issues/problems, identifying needs, and suggesting and evaluating alternative solutions.
f. Communicating with all relevant stakeholders (internal and external) to ensure they are appropriately informed.
g. Maintaining issue, risk, and scope changes within projects.
h. Coordinating with all stakeholders so that requirements are accurately captured, documented, and meet business needs.
i. Defining best strategies of development.
j. Revieing project objectives and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle along with monitoring strategies for sustainable impact.
k. Ensuring cooperation among the Climate and Clean Air Coaltion team and, where applicable, other UN Environment teams to create an economy of scale
l. Establishing indicators to enable a monitoring strategy
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
· Survey at the end of each project with over 80% satisfactory rate
· Timely response to external partner and project managers within less than 48h
· Meeting all project deadlines
4. Qualifications and Experience
· Master level in Knowledge Management focused on technology for development (ICT4D)
5. Work Experience
At least 5 years of experience in knowledge management and project management focused on
· technology for development
· At least 3 years of experience in UN organisations or other large international organizations
· Proven experience in developing and maintaining Drupal websites for the UN or other large international organizations.
· Experience throughout the web development cycle (concept, specifications, development, testing, quality assurance, content management, monitoring and evaluation).
Proven track of liaising core UN projects with external teams of digital development
· Fluency in English and French is required. Advanced knowledge of Spanish is valuable.
About the Organization
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Water and Energy Cluster
Based in Copenhagen, the UNOPS Water and Energy Cluster provides specialized project management services to partners such as the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Bank. Together with partners, the cluster executes projects that support sustainable development by:
- promoting international cooperation to prevent and reverse environmental degradation of international water systems
- enhancing the resilience of communities and eco-systems to climate change
- lowering emissions by bridging renewable energy solutions
- developing Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions to strengthen climate-resilient development