Private Sector Financial Institutions Division, Private Sector Operations Department
Closing Date: 23 January 2013 , 5:00 p.m. (1700 Manila Time, 0900 GMT)
Lead the planning, implementation and supervision of the Financial Institutions Division’s (PSFI) goals, objectives, strategies and work plan with specific focus on the banking sectors and private financial institutions (including non-sovereign public transactions) in support of overall ADB goals. Oversee the quality of outputs of PSFI staff by providing guidance on day-to-day operational issues and ensuring compliance with ADB policies in achieving objectives of the division. Lead and support external and internal relations, coordination and consultation initiatives for the PSOD. Lead and provide guidance on day-to-day operational issues and compliance with ADB policies.
a. Leadership and Strategic Management
- Establish and cascade the division’s vision, goals, development strategies and key result areas (KRAs) in support of ADB’s goals, departmental goals and in compliance with ADB policies.
- Lead the planning, implementation and supervision of work plans as well as monitor the quality of outputs and the achievement of goals and annual objectives for the division.
- Develop an annual strategic and business plan for benchmarking division’s targets and accomplishments.
- Provide leadership in technical and operational matters, taking the lead in contributing new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues.
- Lead the division in ensuring that the projects of the division are developmentally effective and congruent with the Bank’s country strategies.
b. Financial Institutions
- Lead a team of investment professionals in the overall management of PSFI’s portfolio including project origination, processing, implementation and portfolio management.
- Ensure that PSFI’s pipeline and portfolio are aligned with ADB’s development effectiveness agenda and congruent with the Bank’s country strategies.
- Identify business opportunities and appraise investment proposals in the areas of financial sector development including the provision of capital (in the form of debt and equity) to banks and other non-bank financial institutions, housing / mortgage finance, trade finance, microfinance , non-sovereign public, and resolution of non-performing loans in ADB’s developing member countries (DMCs).
- Identify potential areas for technical assistance for financial sector development
- Develop a framework for the allocation of risk-bearing capacity to promote ADB’s developmental mission effectively, while preserving financial sustainability and improving the risk-return profile.
- Provide a portfolio risk management framework for PSFI’s portfolio.
c. External and Internal Coordination
- Develop and foster synergistic relationships with both public and private partners within and outside of ADB’s DMCs, placing particular attention on the establishment of strategic relationships with key participants in banking sectors, private financial institutions and non-sovereign public financial institutions for the purpose of developing co-financing investment opportunities.
- Promote constructive and open dialogue with regional and other departments in ADB.
d. Division Operations Management
- Oversee effective day-to-day operations and provide guidance on operational issues and ADB policies
- Inform and provide recommendations to the Director General and Deputy Director General, PSOD of significant developments, emerging opportunities and challenges in area of responsibility.
- Facilitate effective division coordination and cooperation with other ADB departments and internal stakeholders.
- Undertake the performance management of division, including motivation of division staff.
- Manage budget and resource allocation for the division.
e. Staff Supervision
- Create and lead multidisciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of its work.
- Manage the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, relevant to the assigned area; or University degree and at least 15 years relevant work experience
Relevant Experience And Other Requirements:
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience in investments, investment banking, commercial banking and the capital markets (securitization, swaps, other structured finance) and risk sharing products (guarantees and other). Proven deal track record in these areas
- Knowledge of Asia’s capital markets and banking sectors
- Experience in analyzing all aspects of investment proposals including design and structure of financial packages across the entire spectrum, negotiation with sponsors, monitoring of investment disbursements; portfolio supervision; and advising on corporate restructuring, privatization and capital market development
- Excellent intellectual and team leadership and problem solving skills, including strong ability to manage effective teamwork and communication
- Must have experience in international banking with a good knowledge of the linkages between financial reporting, corporate governance, and financial sector performance
- Substantial experience in structuring financing transactions with a public/private financial institution. Successful track record in previous positions
- Familiarity with Basel framework on capital adequacy, norms on income recognition, disclosure, risk management, loan provisioning and reserving process
- Ability to handle managerial/senior level responsibilities with regional/global profit and product center responsibilities
- Enthusiasm for, and a commitment to, financial sector development in ADB developing member countries
- Proven ability to devise strategies and a business plan as well as to successfully implement
- Results driven and willingness to be accountable for both successes and failures, highly motivated self-starter
- Proven management and leadership qualities
- Ensure that the program in the financial and banking sectors is aligned with ADB’s development effectiveness agenda and congruent with the Bank’s country strategies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- International experience working in development in several countries
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Develops and shares new theories and applications
- Develops other specialists in ADB and client organizations as a subject matter expert
- Convinces sophisticated clients to follow ADB’s technical advice
- Focuses on creating depth in area of technical expertise within ADB
- Leads complex client negotiations to achieve mutually agreeable outcomes
- Guides others on how to effectively involve diverse groups of stakeholders and clients in strategic planning
- Ensures consistent client satisfaction, particularly in highly sensitive and complex situations
- Proactively manages relationships with decision makers and opinion leaders that contributes to achieving ADB’s goals
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts complex analyses and reviews to achieve planned results
- Integrates projects and programs contributing to sector, country, and regional results
- Identifies and plans for future issues in programs and initiatives
- Designs operational processes, resources, and systems, to deliver higher quality results at lower cost
- Manages for results by planning staff resources, implementing, monitoring, and reporting outcomes
- Leads the achievement of interdepartmental or multi-client project goals
- Builds sustainable and productive long-term relationships with strategic partners
- Actively manages potential team conflict situations before they arise
- Builds a safe environment within teams where staff and clients feel comfortable to openly share differing views and opinions
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Diligently seeks and acts on feedback from internal and external stakeholders
- Consistently provides the appropriate level and amount of communication to internal and external stakeholders
- Develops approaches for information access and the dissemination of relevant knowledge solutions
- Stimulates the formation of novel and useful knowledge products and services
Innovation and Change
- Acts as a change sponsor to win the support of those who are resistant to Strategy 2020 or organizational changes
- Persuasively communicates the reasons for organization change, addressing concerns and encouraging thinking beyond possible immediate personal inconveniences
- Anticipates the need for changes in policies and procedures to increase the effectiveness of ADB’s assistance
- Drives the development of a continuous improvement and openness to change culture throughout ADB
- Ensures consistent and transparent application of staff policies in all situations, even when challenged by stakeholders
- Proactively manages the performance of all staff by delivering meaningful feedback about strengths, development areas, and performance issues at all opportunities
- Prioritizes staff management by building an open and supportive environment where all staff are focused on results, even in difficult situations
- Motivates staff to collaboratively achieve Departmental results and collectively share achievements
- Considers team strengths, development priorities, and divisional accountabilities, when distributing tasks and accountabilities
Leadership and Strategic Thinking
- Aligns words with actions
- Seeks opportunities to gain support and buy-in from internal and external stakeholders for ADB’s vision, mission and strategy
- Motivates others who are unclear or not aligned with the priorities of Strategy 2020 by explaining the rationale and big picture supporting objectives
- Sought out to assist in aligning Departmental and organizational strategies and work plans with the needs of Strategy 2020
- Consistently involves current and potential stakeholders in designing and managing organizational changes needed to achieve ADB’s strategic objectives
- Consistently assumes responsibility for Divisional or Departmental actions by explaining successes, failures, and proposing remedial actions
- Invests significant time in creating a culture of accountability and responsibility by using experience and advice to guide others
- Share accountability to improve the Division or Departmental performance and effectiveness
- Quickly manages and resolves situations when accountabilities are not met
Inspiring Trust and Integrity
- Expresses views and behaves that enforces ADB values and inspires others to follow
- Establishes an environment that encourages open communication and responsible information sharing
- Delivers on commitments, obligations, and promises
- Avoids abuse of power or authority in any circumstance
- Consistently applies and upholds ADB rules and code of conduct
- Takes prompt and consistent action to address unprofessional, improper, or unethical behavior, including possible misconduct and violations to ADB’s anticorruption policy
- Acts promptly to address any situations of perceived, potential, or actual conflicts of interest
Maintains confidentiality of information in accordance with ADB rules
Immediate Reporting Relationships / Other Information:
- Supervisor: Head of Department/Office
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- International Staff
- National Staff
- Administrative Staff
- Women are encouraged to apply.