IBTCI is seeking an experienced and motivated Director, Agriculture & Food Security (AFS) and Economic Growth, Education and Environment (E3) Practice to support its work in Agriculture & Food Security (AFS) and Economic Growth, Education and Environment (E3) Practice. The work in AFS and E3 Practice currently covers, but not limited to, the thematic areas of: Agriculture, Education, Economic Growth & Trade, Environment & Global Climate Change, Food Security, Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment, Infrastructure & Engineering, and Water. This position will be based primarily in our Headquarters in Vienna, Virginia, with some time in IBTCI’s Washington DC satellite office. (The Director’s office location and practice area could change based on company discretion).
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
Specific Business Development responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Initiating and following through on new business development opportunities;
- He/She will shape and qualify new leads from multiple sources in collaboration with the AFE3 team leadership. This will involve initiating communications ( including meetings and presentations) that lead to new business opportunities, gathering robust market intelligence on the opportunity, and identifying/collaborating with appropriate partners to team up with. In the longer term, this position is expected to proactively contribute to the growth of the AFS and E3 Practice, aligned with its strategic vision and planning.
- Responsible for a significant level of business development activity, primarily within the AFE3 Practice but also ranging into cross-practice initiatives.
- He/She will be expected to undertake both proactive, and responsive roles, e.g., bid/no-bid vetting, proposal development, proposal writing, and proposal management, to include all support activities through to timely submission of high quality corporate offers. This contribution should produce well-coordinated and compelling proposals, which not only address stated needs, but also clearly articulate fundamental challenges and innovation opportunities.
Program Management responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Taking the lead or serving as a team member in proposal preparation activities.
- Drafting M&E and Learning and sector sections of proposals in technical areas other than M&E.
- Managing practice resources in project implementation.
- Representing IBTCI in business development or project implementation meetings with staff, partners or clients.
- Supervise staff in the home and field offices.
- Strategic oversight for contract implementation including overseeing technical, logistical and operational aspects of contracts.
- Oversee staff and consultant recruitment for proposals and projects Responsibly of Budget development and management for proposal and contracts.
- Manage quality control activities on work products submitted by staff and consultants.
- Facilitate development of consultant and sub-contractor contracts and purchase order agreements.
- Manage relationships with U.S. and internationally-based consultants and sub-contractors.
- May serve as primary US-based point of contact for project’s USG COTR.
Technical responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Provide leadership support on M&E projects.
- Responsible for all aspects of the quarterly/annual project management cycles, including periodic client communications and meetings, LOE and budget tracking/adjustments, managing project staff (support, technical advisors and consultants), providing overall project oversight that may include periodic visits to the field.
- Overall responsible for the creation of all contractual deliverables and ensuring the quality of the final output. He/She will play a crucial role in helping teams find the best option to execute the technical work. To this end, this position is expected to offer creative and technically sound solutions early in the planning stages of projects and subsequently working as an integrated part of a multi-disciplinary team to engage project challenges with the end-goal of owning responsive and compliant execution.
- Serving as a senior technical expert in multiple capacities/roles.
- Conducting development project evaluations, assessments and related sector or policy studies.
- Designing or providing assistance in the design of performance management systems and evaluation methodologies and tools.
- Conducting analytic tasks on evaluation projects.
- Providing M&E and Learning training and other specialized services as may be contractually required.
Additional Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Represent IBTCI in industry conference and workshops.
- Author white papers or report to promote IBTCI intellectual prowess in M&E.
- Provide in-house training to home and field staff on M&E methodologies or sector related subject matter.
- Attend management meetings and contribute to strategic and business plans as needed.
- Other duties/tasks as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience designing and implementing M&E systems for international development projects overseas.
- Experience in Human / Institutional Capacity Development (HICD) or related field highly preferred.
- Previous experiene in education strongly preferred.
- Expertise in at least one of the M&E-related activities such as statistical analysis, impact analysis, performance evaluations, instrument design and management or in learning.
- Demonstrated experience in two or more of the following sectors: Agriculture, Education, Economic Growth & Trade, Environment & Global Climate Change, Food Security, Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment, Infrastructure & Engineering, and Water.
- Experience in all aspects of the proposal process: capture management; partnering; research; recruitment; writing; red-teaming; support to costing.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) required.
- Demonstrable results oriented, flexible and problem solving skills.
- Fluency in the English language is required and a working competence in another language is desirable.
- Demonstrated strong communication and problem-solving skills, results-oriented, flexible.
- Five (5) Years of experience in monitoring and evaluation M&E, research, learning and/or knowledgement management experience.
- Ten (10) years managing projects and staff including (5) years from the home office/headquarters.
- Fifteen (15) years of professional work experience (20 years of professional work experience – for candidates with Bachelor’s degree), predominantly in international development or related work, preferably in foreign assistance programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Master’s degree or the equivalent advanced degree in International Affairs, International Development, Policy Analysis, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration, Statistics/Social Research, Agriculture or related fields preferred.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: An average of 25% to 35% travel for project implementation and/or project management of business development initiatives. (Percentages may vary depending on portfolio of projects and IBTCI practice needs). May include travel to fragile and/or conflict-affected zones.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the USA.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.