International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Job Title: Director, AFE3
Department/Location: Vienna, VA
Reports To: Senior Director, AFE3 or designee
Type: Regular Full-Time
Classification: This is a managerial, exempt-level position
IBTCI is seeking an experienced and motivated Director to support its international development work on the Agriculture, Food Security, Economic Growth, Education and Environment (AFE3) Practice Team. The position includes support for business development, program management, plus technical and thought leadership, related to MEL and in at least one of the technical areas supported by the AFE3 practice. This position will be based primarily in our Headquarters in Vienna, Virginia, with some time in IBTCI’s Washington DC satellite office (The M&E Director’s office location and practice area could change based on company discretion). The Director is expected to proactively contribute to the growth of the AFE3 Practice.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
Program Management responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Managing assigned projects and contracts. The successful candidate will play a crucial role in helping teams identify the best option to execute the technical work. To this end, the Director is expected to offer creative and technically sound solutions early in the planning stages of projects and subsequently work as an integral part of a multi-disciplinary team to design appropriate projects, identify and address challenges, and deliver quality products to clients. Responsibilities to include:
- Providing technical oversight and quality assurance for contract implementation. Will oversee technical, logistical, budgetary and operational aspects of contracts (may include management of IDIQs, task orders, etc).
- Overseeing the quarterly/annual project management cycle (including periodic client communications and meetings, LOE and budget tracking/adjustments, etc).
- Supervising home office and field staff (including Chiefs of Party, Program Associates, etc), and consultants.
- Facilitating recruitment and hiring of consultants and sub-contractors, and overseeing purchase order agreements.
- Carrying out periodic field visits.
- Ensuring submission of high quality, timely reports and deliverables (from staff and consultants) to clients and guaranteeing the quality of the final output.
- Managing relationships with client, field staff and U.S. and internationally-based consultants and sub-contractors.
- Carrying out qualitative and quantitative analyses, and providing technical assistance and training as needed to support assigned projects.
- May serve as primary US-based point of contact for project’s USG COTR.
- Travel is essential, and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. An average of 25% to 35% travel for project implementation and/or project management of business development initiatives. (Percentages may vary depending on projects and IBTCI practice needs).
Technical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as technical lead within IBTCI on sector(s) of expertise.
- Providing technical leadership and/or training in support of projects. May include taking lead on and/or providing guidance and training on one or more of the following:
- development of MEL plans and processes.
- design of data collection tools and systems.
- design of evaluations, assessments, policy studies, sector assessments or similar;
- collection and analysis of data.
- synthesis of data in compelling reports, dashboard, presentations or as required by client.
- carrying out data quality assessments.
Business Development responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Initiating and following through on new business development opportunities and leads through market intelligence, solicitation tracking, and development of external partnerships.
- Leading and/or contributing to submission of high-quality, competitive and well-written proposals. Could include bid/no-bid vetting, proposal design, proposal writing (including technical and MEL sections), proposal management, participating in the selection of staff and consultants, budget development and proposal packaging, etc.).
- Representing IBTCI in business development or project implementation meetings with staff, partners or clients.
Thought Leadership and other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Represent IBTCI in industry conference and workshops.
- Author white papers or other reports to promote IBTCI intellectual prowess in MEL.
- Provide in-house training to home office and field staff on MEL methodologies and/or sector related subject matters.
- Contribute to development of marketing materials and efforts.
- Attend management meetings and contribute to business plans as needed.
- Other duties/tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with/demonstrated experience in at least one of the following technical areas: Agriculture, Food Security, Education, Economic Growth, Trade and Environment/Climate Change
- Experience in all aspects of the proposal process: capture management, partnering, research, recruitment, writing, etc.
- Expertise in one or more aspects of M&E and/or learning. May include: design of qualitative and/or quantitative tools, statistical analysis, impact analysis, performance and/or impact evaluation design, data quality assurance, etc.
- Experience in/knowledge of Organization Development principles and models. May include USAID’s Human / Institutional Capacity Development (HICD).
- Experience in/knowledge of Learning and Adaptive Management principles and models. May include USAID’s Collaboration, Learning and Adapting (CLA).
- Experience leading teams and/or clients in planning and project design.
- Experience in design and/or delivery of training and technical assistance, incorporating theories of adult learning and participatory methods.
- Experience in/knowledge of data collection tools and processes, to include use of mobile technologies and GIS mapping.
- Experience working with USAID and non-USAID donors, including DOS, USDA, MCC, DOL, and/or other international and domestic government donors.
- Demonstrated ability to be a results oriented, flexible, team player with solid problem solving skills.
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- At least five (5) years of experience in monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) experience of foreign assistance activities.
- At least fifteen (15) years of professional work experience (20 years of professional work experience for candidates with Bachelor’s degree), predominantly in international development or related work.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Oral and written fluency in English required; working knowledge in another language desirable.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in International Affairs, International Development, Policy Analysis, Economics or other related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International travel required.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the USA.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.