Reporting to the executive director of the Center for International Research Education and Development (CIRED), the business development director will play an integral role in the business development lifecycle – from initial capture and pre-proposal throughout the proposal and final award. The position works closely with the CIRED executive director, the director of operations and program development, and other team members to develop and deliver high quality and successful responses to funding opportunities. This position will lead and participate in activities geared towards enabling the center to grow and diversify its project portfolio strategically.
- Overall, leads and coordinates high-value, winning proposal development efforts.
- Coordinates the Proposal Development Team with day-to-day oversight; conducts regular team performance appraisals; contributes to ongoing team-building initiatives.
- Manages the internal systems and processes for the Proposal Development Team, including oversight of business intelligence gathering and proposal development processes; re-invigorates and introduces new systems as needed, including new tools and guidance.
- Develops internal orientation, guidance and training as needed to ensure that Proposal Development Team is equipped to understand the proposal process and the required skills to contribute effectively to business development.
- Oversights early capture information and proposal preparation activities.
- Leads and assists in the identification, development, and implementation of bid teaming, partnering, and recruitment strategies.
- Leads and participates in critical bid pursuit meetings, including presentations on capture strategy and design validation sessions.
- Oversees the review of internal proposal preparation procedures and ensures compliance.
- Leads, participates and oversights bid proposal preparation, including authoring and/or contributing written text.
- Provides quality control by conducting final review process of all proposals prior to final submission.
- Oversees the conduct of systematic after action reviews (AAR) for successful and unsuccessful bids, identifying specific themes for lessons learned.
- Prepares regular reports on key lessons learned from AARs.
- Works closely with the Executive Director to ensure focused and proper execution of business development strategic goals.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s degree in a relevant field that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities;
- Significant experience in business development;
- Successful track record leading or authoring proposals;
- Strong analytical, conceptual and organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills; superior writing skills a must;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work well under time constraints;
- Ability to travel internationally.
- A second language, e.g., Spanish, French or Arabic;
- Previous experience implementing international development projects;
- Previous experience in business development in an international context;
- A PhD in international development, development economics, international relations, community/social development, international education, agriculture, health, environment, or another relevant field.
This position will be open until filled
About the Organization
The Center for International Research, Education, and Development (CIRED) links Virginia Tech to the world, supporting the university’s global mission by developing and managing projects that draw on Virginia Tech’s knowledge and applying it through multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional partnerships to raising standards of living in developing countries. Providing opportunities for faculty, staff, and student involvement in research, teaching, and development results in benefits to the University, to the Commonwealth of Virginia, and to the nation. CIRED provides essential support, strategic approaches, and practical models for international engagement that positions Virginia Tech as a global land-grant university leader.