Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Director, Business Development will lead pipeline and proposal work – contributing to building strategic pipelines for partnerships with institutions and foundations, integrating with private sector partnerships and directing the work of the Proposal Design Hub to ensure quality proposals are on-time, compliant, and within strategy of Area signature programming efforts. The Director will supervise the Senior Manager of the Proposal Hub, mentor and coach staff to fill proposal positions, negotiate consultancy agreements when proposals need additional support and expertise, and fill proposal roles.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
· Organized, with attention to detail
· Great networking skills
· Internal bridge builder across teams and units
· Excellent writing and communication skills
· Proposal writing and coordination skills
· Proactive and meets deadlines
· Fast learner
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Partner with SVP to shape revenue strategy that aligns to the Area SVPs revenue strategies for Heifer to achieve scale in line with the Sustainable Development Goals and Agenda 2030. (40%)
- Significantly contribute to execution of the revenue strategy for short, medium and long-term resource mobilization, partnering with business development leads to secure funds and partnership from institutional and foundations donor base that supports the Area SVPs revenue plans.
- Integrate with regional area teams for responsiveness to national and regional opportunities.
- Integrate with private sector lead where appropriate to leverage partnerships and co-submissions for higher-value revenue and/or strategic requests of institutional donors.
- Identify trends in the funding environment in DC and proactively adapt strategies for positioning Heifer competitively.
- Leverage Heifer’s existing networks and partner in opening new large and influential partnerships with bilateral and multilateral donors (e.g. USAID, USDA, EU, DFID, IFAD, World Bank.), research and technical partners, and partner INGOs.
- Actively liaise with internal and external partners.
B. Oversight of the Proposal Hub including staff, and proposal submissions (50%)
- Staff oversight of senior manager proposal hub and mentorship and support to all staff and consultants working on proposals.
- Ensure high quality, compliant and on-time proposals are submitted that fit the Area Signature programming visions.
- Adapt PFID internal processes to ensure that proposal design process work in tandem and are understood by all.
- Provide hands-on support through a role for proposals when appropriate and on need basis i.e. technical writing, proposal coordination, strategic leadership, etc.
C. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (10%)
Master’s degree in business development or international development or a related field with ten (10+) years of related experience.
With at least fifteen (15) years of experience in international development with a focus on business development.
Most Critical Proficiencies
· Knowledge and proven experience of results-driven proposal design processes for large Foundations, Institutions with integrations with for-profits (corporates) into public, private partnerships.
· Knowledge of how to design proposals that leverage impact capital and financing mechanisms to unlock potential for small-scale farmers
· Experience in networking for intelligence gathering for partnerships that will open doors to revenue generation.
· Familiarity with and experience in responding to requests for applications/proposals, call for proposals, indefinite-quantity contracts and task orders.
· Knowledge of and experience with civil society organizations and networks.
· Knowledge and experience in sustainable community development.
· Excellent writing skills.
· Excellent training and partnership-building skills.
· Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
· Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail and Internet (Microsoft Office Suite preferred).
· Familiarity with major policies, policy-making processes, procedures and expectations of major donors, including United States Agency for International Development, European Union, Department for International Development, United Nations agencies like the World Bank, International Fund for Agricultural Development, United Nations Development Program, and others.
· Strong English language skills – oral and written. Proficiency in a second language (Spanish or French) desirable.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
· Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
· Ability to prepare documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
· Ability to speak and make presentations to small and large audiences.
· Willingness and ability to work outside of normal US business hours.
· Ability to develop and present training materials.
· Lifting and carrying of up to 25 pounds (11 kilograms) floor-to-waist if able.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people.
· Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
· Ability to perform multiple tasks with the willingness to be part of a cross-functional department.
· Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
· Ability to perform basic to intermediate mathematical and statistical calculations.