Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Director, Business Development will partner with the Managing Director, Institutional Partnerships to shape and drive institutional opportunities while integrating with other fundraising teams and providing leadership on proposals. The Director will support funding opportunity identification and positioning of Heifer on institutional bids. The Director will support integration and strengthening of partnerships among strategic stakeholders, private sector companies and tier one foundations. The Director will serve as a bridge from positioning into proposal design and ensure the development of quality proposals in alignment with Area Signature Programs strategies and in collaboration with the Proposal Design Hub. The Director will play significant and important roles on proposal design teams and ensure timely, responsive and compelling proposals. The Director will report to the Managing Director, Institutional Partnerships and will work closely with Senior Manager, Proposal Design Hub.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
- Organized, with attention to detail
- Great networking skills
- Internal bridge-builder across teams and units
- Highly strategic, able to find and create synergies across different opportunities, win-win value propositions linking disparate funders, and compelling strategies leveraging local market system actors and project partners to drive pro-poor wealth creation
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Proposal writing and coordination skills
- Proactive and meets deadlines
- Fast learner
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Partner with Managing Director to shape revenue strategy that aligns to the Area SVPs Signature Program strategies for Heifer to achieve scale in line with the Sustainable Development Goals and Heifer’s mission and aspirations. (45%)
- Significantly contribute to the creation and execution of the revenue strategy for short, medium and long-term resource mobilization, partnering with business development leads across Heifer’s global footprint to secure funds and partnership from institutional donor base, in alignment with the Area SVPs Signature Program strategy and Heifer’s mission.
- Work with programs teams in identifying, tracking and regularly updating institutional opportunities.
- Integrate with regional business development teams in Africa, Asia and the Americas for responsiveness to national and multi-national opportunities.
- Integrate with Global Partnership Alliances (GPA) to leverage corporate partnerships in institutional bids for higher-value revenue and/or strategic requests of institutional donors.
- Integrate and leverage Heifer Impact Capital financing mechanisms for more compelling strategies that generate larger impact in communities and respond to higher-value revenue and/or strategic requests of institutional donors.
- Integrate with Tier One Foundation to leverage resources needed to win institutional funding.
- Identify trends in the funding environment in DC and proactively adapt strategies for positioning Heifer competitively.
- Leverage Heifer’s existing networks and partner in opening new large and influential partnerships with bilateral and multilateral donors (e.g. USAID, USDA, EU/EC, FCDO, IFAD, World Bank, UN Agencies), research and technical partners, and partner INGOs.
- Actively liaise with internal and external partners.
B. Play significant leadership roles within the Proposal Design Hub including Strategy Lead and Technical Writer (50%)
- Lead and write compelling, responsive and winning proposals.
- Collaborate with Senior Manager, Proposal Design Hub and provide mentorship and support to all staff and consultants working on proposals.
- Ensure high quality, compliant and on-time proposals are submitted that fit the Area Signature Program visions.
- Adapt pipeline management internal processes to ensure that proposal design process work in tandem and are understood by all
- Provide hands-on support through a role for proposals when appropriate and on need basis i.e. technical writing, proposal coordination, strategic leadership, etc.
C. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
- Master’s degree or equivalent in the fields of Agriculture Economics, Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, Business Development, Finance or other related fields.
- At least ten (10) years of relevant experience in new business development in the international development field.
- At least fifteen (15) years of experience in international development with a focus on business development.
- Fluency in the Spanish language.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Knowledge and proven experience of results-driven proposal design processes for Institutions with integrations with for-profits (corporates) and Tier One Foundations into public, private partnerships.
- Knowledge of how to design proposals that leverage impact capital and financing mechanisms to unlock potential for small-scale farmers
- Experience in networking for intelligence gathering for partnerships that will open doors to revenue generation.
- Familiarity with and experience in responding to requests for applications/proposals, call for proposals, indefinite-quantity contracts and task orders.
- Knowledge of and experience with civil society organizations and networks.
- Knowledge and experience in sustainable community development.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent training and partnership-building skills.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Highly strategic in partnerships and proposal strategy
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail and Internet (Microsoft Office Suite preferred).
- Familiarity with major policies, policy-making processes, procedures and expectations of major donors, including bilateral donors United States Agency for International Development (USAID), European Union/European Commission, Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and multilateral donors such as the United Nations, World Bank, International Fund for Agricultural Development and others.
- Strong English language skills – oral and written. Proficiency in a second language (Spanish) desirable.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Ability to prepare documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to speak and make presentations to small and large audiences.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal US business hours.
- Ability to develop and present training materials.
- Lifting and carrying of up to 25 pounds (11 kilograms) floor-to-waist if able.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with the willingness to be part of a cross-functional department.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to perform basic to intermediate mathematical and statistical calculations.
About the Organization
Heifer International has set a goal to help 4 million families within the communities where we work achieve living incomes by 2020. This income will allow them to educate their children; feed themselves adequately every day; and have proper housing, water, hygiene and other essential resources.
To apply, visit https://jobs.jobvite.com/heifer/jobs
- Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.