The Director Cost Estimating & Strategic Pricing works under the direction of the Vice President, Awards & Proposals. The Director Cost Estimating and Strategic Pricing provides strategic pricing to various solicitations for new business development and re competing existing contracts. He/she focuses on applying price and cost analysis techniques, and pricing procedures, as it relates to analyzing forward pricing rates, final overhead rates, cost accounting standards, direct labor rates and contractor business systems. Additionally, the Director, Cost Estimating & Strategic Pricing manage a dedicated team of professionals and oversee budgeting, pricing, forecasting, and the development of effective strategies to strengthen the organization’s financial resources.
Essential Job Functions:
Provide strategic pricing support to various solicitations for new business development re-competes and cost extensions to include existing grants, Cooperative Agreements and contracts. Collect competitive intelligence for comparative analysis for bid/no-bid decision to set strategic price-to- win (PTW) targets. Write price volume narratives to blend cost/price realism with technical proposal that offer best value to clients. Package multiple business proposals from cradle to grave for submission. Comply with all Blumont business development policies.
- Responsible for the development of pricing models and templates in coordination with finance and contracting. Templates and models are specific to contract type and customer.
- Develop pricing tools for program staff such as labor cost estimators.
- Develop budgets for Awards and Proposal Division and track expenditures quarterly.
- Support financial initiatives that effect pricing.
- Participate in bid/or no bid decision-making processes.
- Assumes primary responsibility for the cost proposal from start to finish by assuring that cost proposals are fully responsive and compliant the solicitation.
- Evaluates solicitations and advises on issues related to submitting a proposal.
- Provide strategic pricing support by engaging and guiding proposal team from the capture through proposal preparation stages.
- Collect competitive intelligence to prepare cost comparative analyses for multiple price-to-win scenarios.
- Assess financial risk and formulating risk mitigation strategies
- Support and participate in business development step briefings
At Proposal-Bid stage:
- Coordinate with capture management teams to draft work breakdown structure
- Prepare Basis of Estimate in support of price-to-win strategy.
- Design various types of pricing templates for grants, cooperative agreements, contracts and task orders.
- Utilize various salary survey tools to apply appropriate rates per geographic region on percentile scale that meet level requirements of the RFP.
- Provides review of the subcontractors cost proposals, and assures that all have provided accurate and necessary information for the cost proposal per the RFA/RFP.
- Review and incorporate into proposals Foreign Labor Law and Foreign Taxes to include, payroll, and transfer pricing.
- Prepare cost-to-complete financial analysis that forecast existing contract’s re-compete value.
- Conduct quality assurance review of business proposals for completeness to ensure that they are in compliance with the solicitation scope of work, company’s NDA policies, government regulations (FAR/DFARS), and DCAA audits.
- Compiles the cost proposal documents together including the subcontractor cost proposals for final submission.
- Write cost/price narrative of business proposals.
- Deliver CONUS or OCONUS business proposals to US government agencies in sealed packages and /or sanitized versions to prime contractors within multiple, sometimes, overlapping deadlines.
At post-award stage:
- Review the accuracy of competitive intelligence and win / loss
- Analyze proposal debriefs and lessons learned. Update cost proposal - PTW database
- Participate in internal after action reports
- Train pricing staff, finance staff and capture management teams on proposal pricing.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a related field.
- 10+ years of experience in budgeting and pricing for a global, non-profit organization
- Knowledge of U.S. Government assistance/contracting rules and regulations (A-122, 2 CFR 200, and FAR Part 15). Experience with USAID, USDA, and/or DOL funding strongly preferred.
- Professional experience in the NGO developmental sector, to include pricing /accounting / P&L / business development for offices across the globe.
- Knowledge and experience with all contract types/vehicles, to include grants, CoAgs, IDIQ, RFPs, and fixed price, cost reimbursable, and cost plus requirements.
- Extensive experience developing and modeling pricing for complex proposals.
- Demonstrated ability to develop basis of estimates necessary for detailed audits.
- Ability to develop and maintain databases on price competition, donor procurement tendencies, and market drivers.
- Must be a proactive problem solver of highly complex price proposals.
- Knowledge of contracts and grants and the pre-award and post-award procedures sufficient to structure pricing and costs that provide for efficient and economical contract implementation.
- Strategic thinker and strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong presentation skills and credibility.
- Possess and display high ethical and business standards.
- Advanced MS Excel and Word skills.
- CPA or MBA.
- Experience in a Deltek environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge developing cost proposals for foreign government aid agencies, bilateral and multilateral institutions, private foundations, etc.
- Experience validating of estimates, estimating approaches, and data driven estimating.
- Strong proposal development skills and strategy development.
- Skill in communications techniques necessary for pre-analysis with the solicitor and/or to participate in negotiations to defend the price positions used in cost elements.
- Knowledge of economic, statistical, accounting, and financial analysis principles and techniques (e.g., random sampling, computerized cost models and statistical graphs, etc.) necessary to analyze statistical cost data to forecast financial and technical capability on future proposals.
- Working knowledge of GovWin CRM.
- Exceptional analytical and management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues. Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team.
- Exceptional organization skill. Ability to prioritize initiatives and actions from a global perspective.
- Create supportive working relationship throughout the organization.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties, and work irregular hours.
- Tactfulness, enthusiasm towards assigned tasks, good human relationship skills, integrity, honesty.
- Successful track record in leading pricing or financial teams.
- Normal Office Conditions.
Blumont is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics. Military veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, Teach America and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Blumont, a charitable, non-profit, non-governmental organization, focuses its operations in regions of the world that present social, political and technical challenges. Blumont specializes in facilitating and supporting assistance that is tailored specifically to those most in need. Blumont works in collaboration with a wide range of organizations in the design and implementation of humanitarian relief and development aid programs, including U.S. and foreign government agencies, bilateral and international donor organizations, international finance organizations, faith-based organizations, advocacy groups, international and local NGOs, and U.S. corporations. Blumont's mission is to reduce the suffering of the world’s most vulnerable groups and provide tools and resources needed to increase their self-sufficiency. We accomplish our mission by implementing targeted cost-effective relief and development programs that improve the lives of these vulnerable groups