- Executive role
- Based in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
- D4 remuneration under the Aid Adviser Remuneration Framework (ARF)
Abt PNG Management Services supports the PNG Australia Governance Partnership which aims to contribute to security, stability, basic service delivery and inclusive growth for all Papua New Guineans. The Facility is responsible for the design and implementation of the majority of Australia’s governance portfolio under the strategic direction and oversight of the Australian and PNG Governments. Bringing governance activities under one umbrella, the Facility allows for greater coherence between, and consolidation of, individual activities, effective gender mainstreaming, smarter administrative, contracting and management processes, and improved knowledge sharing and actions on lessons learned across the governance portfolio.
There are seven Partnerships that the Facility supports, each with their own governance arrangements:
- Public Sector Leadership and Reform (PSLR)
- Decentralisation and Citizen Participation (DCP)
- Economic Governance and Inclusive Growth (EGIG)
- Kokoda Initiative
- Bougainville Partnership
- PNG Partnership Fund (PPF)
- Institutional Partnerships Program Deployment Support Services (IPPDSS)
The Economic Governance and Inclusive Growth Partnership (EGIG) works with the Governments of Papua New Guinea and Australia to build macro-economic stability, improve fiscal management and promote inclusive economic growth.
Role Summary – Director, Economic Governance and Inclusive Growth (EGIG) Partnership
The Director, EGIG, will be responsible for working with the Governments of Australia and PNG to develop and implement a new, cohesive strategy for the Economic Governance and Inclusive Growth Partnership.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic planning and program implementation: continue the development, refinement and socialisation of EGIG’s strategic plans. Update key strategic documentation as required based on bilateral economic and strategic priorities.
- Stakeholder engagement: be the focal point for all EGIG stakeholders. Engage in sustained policy dialogue with DFAT, Government of PNG counterparts and other development partners.
- Advisory services: provide technical and policy advice regarding current national economic and fiscal developments and their implications for the PNG-Australia Governance Partnership
- Leveraging the private sector for inclusive growth: support dialogue between the private sector and GoPNG to address constraints to private sector growth, address development challenges and leverage links to the Australia Business Council, Business Coalitions and Business Chambers to maximise networks and promote SMEs.
- Research and analysis: assess economic policy research needs in priority strategic areas and advise on where EGIG can play an effective role in policy development. Contribute to strengthening the analytical quality and relevance of DFAT’s contributions to national policy dialogue.
- Innovation: support DFAT to move beyond traditional aid concepts with the promotion of innovative approaches to leveraging investments, building sustainable public institutions, and engaging emerging private sector and philanthropic actors.
- Knowledge management: lead the preparation or commissioning of position papers on PNG’s emerging economic development issues and priorities.
- Quality assurance: ensure timely responses to requests from GoA and GoPNG for advisory support for the formulation of economic advice.
- Adviser and personnel management: manage performance-related matters in accordance with Abt Associates Performance Management policy and DFAT Adviser Remuneration Framework.
The successful candidate will bring:
- Masters level qualifications in economics, development, public financial management or related field.
- 10+ years of senior management experience in the development and implementation of economic governance programs and private sector development (with experience in a developing country context essential).
- Demonstrated program design and program management experience.
- Deep understanding of political economy issues, including an understanding of how power relations within government can have major impacts in program selection, design and implementation.
- Experience in private sector innovation, with proven ability to build collaborative communities and strategic partnerships.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and proven experience in developing and maintaining relationships with senior partner government officials, donor representatives and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to build effective teams, lead collaboration and cooperation and ensure program coherence.
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to lead and manage high quality reporting, knowledge and communication products.
- Experience working with central government agencies (finance, treasury, planning, or similar) highly desirable.
- Experience working in PNG or a similar operating environment highly desirable.
Further details regarding this opportunity and associated remuneration can be found in the ‘Information for Applicants’ in the ‘View Position Description’ link at the top of the Abt Careers page.
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website and MUST include a CV and covering letter addressing the Key Selection Criteria listed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from diverse backgrounds, gender and people with disabilities.
Go to ‘Apply Now’, ‘Aus/UK Postings’ and by searching ‘By Country/ Region’ for Papua New Guinea, you will find this and all other roles currently being advertised for Abt Associates in PNG. Applications should be submitted online and should include a current CV, cover letter and a response to the key selection criteria, including questions of due diligence.
The closing date for applications is Sunday, 29 March 2020, (midnight, local time). We welcome and thank all applications, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About the Organization
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.